Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th July 2011, 02:08 PM
MorphingDragon Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Ways to run 32-bit flash without NSPluginwrapper.

As you might know, I write a fedora setup guide and I'm currently in the process of rewriting it so XFCE and LXDE aren't just lumped in with GNOME for "native apps". I noticed part way through just how oooold "Flash Square" is and recently the annoyances of running such an outdated version of flash.

I'm interested in changing my guide so it uses the newer 32-bit version, but I would like to achieve it without using NSPluginwrapper. Itś a real PITA to get it to behave properly, the "Grey Box" issue is still unresolved and it breaks other plugins.

I've seen people just run 32-bit versions of Firefox and Google Chrome, but forcing my guide users into that solution doesn't seem like a particularity good idea (Hint, discussion point). My friend suggested removing Adobe reader (yes I've tried blacklisting it) and replacing it with evince but I find Evince doesn't work with all PDFs. Especially ones with forms.
Old 7th July 2011, 11:54 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfirefox
Re: Ways to run 32-bit flash without NSPluginwrapper.

There isn't any other way, to the best of my knowledge. You can use a 64-bit plugin, nspluginwrapper, or a 32-bit browser binary. Those are your options. Pick one. =)

FWIW, I use nspluginwrapper and I haven't noticed problems, I don't know what this 'grey box' thing is that you mention. But I don't use Adobe Reader.
http://www.happyassassin.net