Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd October 2009, 12:33 PM
RomeoX Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Fedora burning motherboard

Hi everybody

actually I installed Fedora 10 on my laptop and while I was working on it and after 12 hours since I started my laptop it closed the whole pc like someone take out the cable from electricity. I'm afraid of that burning, Does Fedora linux burned motherboard? I really need an answer for this question.

Thanks in Advanced

Last edited by RomeoX; 25th October 2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 22nd October 2009, 01:31 PM
Sagitter Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
I was working on it and after 12 hours since I started my laptop
Pc could be overheated.
Try to run it after two hours. Control temperature of it.
Old 24th October 2009, 06:55 PM
RomeoX Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Thanks man for your reply

Today I went to the dealer of laptop Toshiba and they told me that my motherboard got fried. And they asked me a question what I was running when the laptop went out of electricity. I said I was using Fedora linux and they said probably using linux makes a problem to the laptop so it fried the motherboard. So please guys tell me the truth becuase I'm going to buy another laptop and I want laptop because it's easy to handle it everywhere with me. But I want to make sure that Fedora doesn't make problem like frying motherboard. Any suggestion.
Old 24th October 2009, 07:01 PM
kyryder

linuxfedorafirefox
What model Toshiba was it?
Old 24th October 2009, 07:06 PM
Nokia Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
This is nonsense. It was a hardware failure and it wasn't software related. The dealer took advantage of your lack of experience/knowledge and told you what was the most convenient thing to say for him.

SELinux User Guide

AutoPager
Old 24th October 2009, 07:08 PM
kyryder

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokia View Post
This is nonsense. It was a hardware failure and it wasn't software related. The dealer took advantage of your lack of experience/knowledge and told you what was the most convenient thing to say for him.
+1
The reason I asked what model is Toshiba has been found guilty and ordered to give people back there money on some laptops like the satellite pro 6100.
Old 24th October 2009, 10:44 PM
RomeoX Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
thanks to you all.

Mr.Nokia, actually I have no idea about linux, as I'm a newbie to linux specially Fedora. I used to use Suse linux 8 years back but very few and I'm not experience in it. I'm very good in computer but in desktop not in laptop as I knew that before I gave it to the dealer the problem was in my motherboard and I gave it to dealer I thought he might fix the Chip which is causing the power lossing coming either from Adapter and Battery.

Mr.kyryder
My laptop is Toshiba Satellite A200-1IZ
Old 24th October 2009, 10:48 PM
Nokia Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Well, first of all you need to fix/repair/replace your laptop.

Then we can talk about your needs and what OS might suit you best.

SELinux User Guide

AutoPager
Old 24th October 2009, 10:52 PM
Teber Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
what i do know is this: a laptop has been known to get overheated. cooler failure. however, this laptop ran on winxp. do i point accusingly at winxp? certainly not!
Old 25th October 2009, 12:16 AM
RomeoX Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Thanks Mr.Nokia for your reply and being with me in getting some info. Actually I'm trying either to fix the same motherboard or buy new motherboard so I'll have the same Laptop. I really feel that I love using linux very much specially I'm getting to know so many commands, I studied Computer science for Bachelors degree and I installed Oracle Database in linux even though my experience is not that's much good in dealing with linux. Anyhow could you please talk about what is the best to suite my needs. By the way, when I installed linux I already have windows XP but when I found that Fedora looks cool so I stayed away from XP.

Mr.Taber, Thanks for giving a comment from you. You know when I was working on Fedora at the time my Laptop stopped working it wasn't heated it was normal the temp.
Old 25th October 2009, 12:23 AM
Nokia Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Well, if it's Linux you want, I suggest the following path:

Install F11, update it. Get used to it. After a couple of months, when F12 would be already out, you could choose whether to stick to Fedora or maybe try another distro. Anyway, prior to installing it, take a good look at the installation notes.

SELinux User Guide

AutoPager
Old 25th October 2009, 04:18 AM
JohnVV Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
saying that "Linux did it " is like saying that "the gas from THIS -- add name here - gas station caused your cars engine to through a rod .

a bold fat lie .

Now there IS some problems with battery life and linux 4 hours on a charge and not 6 to 8 .

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10
Old 25th October 2009, 01:07 PM
RomeoX Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Hi JohnVV. Thanks for your comment. Could you please explain what you meant in your last sentence about charging, did you mean I should close the linux Fedora every 4 hours.

Regards,
Old 25th October 2009, 10:58 PM
JohnVV Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
it is just that most linux installs on most laptops run for shorter times on battery power that MS Windows dose .

it is being worked on and is a known issue

some of it is the power down of the hard drives . MS dose that a bit better than Linux dose .

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10
Old 25th October 2009, 11:24 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
MY theory is that NO os would fry the motherboard in a laptop.

However, some may run the processor more, some may run the hard drives more, etc... and cause shorter battery life.

Some may not throttle back the CPU when idle, thus causing more heat.

Now, it is possible that if there is a design flaw or a component problem already existing, then choice of OS could possibly make the problem worse. But as far as an OS being the cause of the motherboard going kaput, then I would have to say that is not the reason.

Tags
burning, fedora, motherboard