Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th July 2012, 10:36 PM
Clived Offline

linuxchrome
Startup applications gui/program in Fedora 17

Hello Folks

I have been running Fedora 17 for a month or so and am thoroughly enjoying it. I use a program called Gigolo to create a mountpoint(s) to my other computers (Win7,Linuxmint 12 &13 , WinXP) on my network which works fine, but the odd time that I have to reboot, I loose the connection because Gigolo is not loaded at startup. I can't seem to find the application in Fedora 17 to add applications to be started at re-boot. This means that I have to restart Gigolo manually after a reboot.

Any ideas, folks ?
Old 25th July 2012, 10:55 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox
Re: Startup applications gui/program in Fedora 17

If you are using GNOME shell, you can add startup applications by invoking gnome-session-properties. In the dialog box, add the entry.

If you are using XFCE, open xfce4-autostart-editor and add any application you want to use.

Quote:
Some of my applications are always started when I login

There are two possible reasons why the application is started: It is saved in the last session or it is listed in the auto started applications. Follow 1 of the two steps below to get rid of the applications.

Start the xfce4-autostart-editor and remove the application(s). You can also manually delete those files in ~/Desktop/Autostart and ~/.config/autostart.
Most of the time closing all the applications and save your session when you logout is sufficient. If this doesn't work, remove the content of the ~/.cache/sessions/ directory when you're not logged in. And if you don't want xfce remember every session you should turn off (uncheck) “Automatically save session on logout” in Settings Manager → Sessions and Startup (tab General)
from here
Old 26th July 2012, 12:52 AM
jpollard Online

linuxfirefox

When you say "startup" are you referring to "boot"?

Startup application are not run until you login, which I suspect is not what you are referring to.
Old 26th July 2012, 12:57 AM
Clived Offline

linuxchrome

Yes, I am actually referring to boot, I need to get Gigolo to start whenever I boot the box
Old 26th July 2012, 01:12 AM
jpollard Online

linuxfirefox

If they mount after boot (login as root and try a "mount <mountpoint>" and see).

If the /etc/fstab file contains the NFS mounts, then it should get mounted.

If this works (and it should be able to) try a reboot. IF it doesn't work, then systemd is likely not waiting for the network to be ready.

You can try enabling "NetworkManager-wait-online.service" which should cause systemd to delay until NetworkManger tells systemd that the network has been initialized.

Last edited by jpollard; 26th July 2012 at 01:14 AM. Reason: clarifications, hopefully.
Old 26th July 2012, 04:59 PM
Clived Offline

linuxchrome

Hey guys

Thanks for your responses, they were most helpful. It was the "gnome-session-properties" thing that I was looking for. Not sure why it was hidden in Gnome 3. Anyway Gigolo now starts every time I boot.

Cheers

Clived
Old 26th July 2012, 05:04 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Glad it helped. Please mark the thread as solved (Thread Tools --> Marked the thread as SOLVED).
Cheers.

Tags
applications, fedora, gui or program, startup