Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th June 2011, 02:50 PM
remnil Offline

linuxchrome
Cannot change default applications or file associations

Hey everyone. I recently upgraded to Fedora 15 and am super-happy with it. Unfortunately, I have a minor issue that I haven't yet figured out how to fix: I can't change the default applications or the file type associations. For instance, I'd like to set Chromium as my default browser. When I first login, I tell it to set itself as default. But after I end my session and log back it, Firefox is back to being the default browser.

I have the same issues when trying to change what applications open filetypes. .rtf files have been opening in Wordpad in Wine. When I try to change it to Writer through the "Open with" dialog, it retains the change for that session but resets after I log out. I actually ended up having to uninstall Calibre because it was opening .odt files instead of LibreOffice and I couldn't change it permanently.

Any thoughts on how I can fix this issue? Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 15th June 2011, 03:18 PM
Miikka Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Cannot change default applications or file associations

Chromium problem: System Settings -> System Info -> Default Applications
File type problem: Nautilus -> Right click file -> Properties -> Open With
Old 15th June 2011, 03:22 PM
remnil Offline

linuxchrome

Hi Miikka. Thanks for responding. I've actually done both those things, several times. And they work for the current session. The problem is that the changes reset once I log out.
Old 15th June 2011, 03:56 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxchrome

Try editing the following files.

/home/yourusername/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

You can assign the default applications here.

Alternatively, you could also edit

/home/yourusername/.local/share/applications/defaults.list

-or-

/usr/share/applications/defaults.list.

I believe, if you edit the /usr/share ... it will change the default associations for all users while the one in your home folder will change only for you. I do not know why the same file or smaller versions of the file in /usr/share/... is found in home folder.

Hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

EDIT:
Looking at your problem, I think you might have to edit the file under /usr/share ...

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

Further edit:

Sorry for multiple edits ... Perhaps, this is what you might need to add
Code:
application/rtf=wine-extension-rtf.desktop
Old 18th June 2011, 06:50 PM
remnil Offline

linuxchrome

Thanks! Editing the file under /usr/share did the trick. I changed all of the instances of "openoffice.org" to "libreoffice" and "mozilla-firefox" to "chromium-browser". I also added "application/rtf=libreoffice-writer.desktop". I still can't set Chromium as the default browser, but that's not a big deal. Thanks again!
Old 18th June 2011, 07:35 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxchrome

Glad that you were able to solve the problem. Could you please mark the thread as 'SOLVED'. Thanks.