Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th January 2013, 08:51 PM
xilix Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Setting up an archived repository

Hi,

There is an old program that I used several years ago on Fedora 9 that has since been orphaned. The last distro of inclusion was F13. The packages are all available in the archived Fedora repositories. I would like to try to install it on F17 and I'm wondering if this would be possible to do? Would I be able to set up the archived repos in my sofware sources and then use the package manager or yum to install them? If not, are thier other concievable alternatives? What conflicts or other problems should I be aware of before attempting this?

thx
Old 12th January 2013, 09:20 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox
Re: Setting up an archived repository

It might help if you mentioned the package involved.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 12th January 2013, 09:35 PM
xilix Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Hi bob,

The package is poker3d; a 3d poker client.
Old 12th January 2013, 09:42 PM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

Looks like it's in freecode:

http://freecode.com/projects/poker3d

Here's the old Fedora project page which like you said looks to be dead
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Games/poker3d
Old 12th January 2013, 09:56 PM
xilix Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Thanks for the links. The packages there are for i386 arch. I have amd64 arch. The amd64 arch packages are available at http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/arch...4/os/Packages/. I am wondering if I can use these in fedora 17.
Old 13th January 2013, 04:45 AM
cazo Offline

linuxchrome

If you have the source package (usually named *.src.rpm), you can try building for F17. Usually, you can modify an older .spec file to build from a newer source.

If it's orphaned, you can look into being a packager maintainer for it (so it will be available for others too). See the info at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Categ...ge_Maintainers.

Last edited by cazo; 13th January 2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 14th January 2013, 11:29 PM
xilix Offline

linuxfirefox

Thank you Cazo,

The source rpm is available but one or two dependencies are no longer in Fedora 17 either. I am going to try and build it from source and see what happens.
Old 15th January 2013, 02:48 AM
cazo Offline

linuxchrome

Since those dependencies aren't in the F17 repos, you'll have to build & install those too. You might also need their -devel packages as well (and any -devel packages those need - this is known as "dependency hell").

I forgot to mention that (in case you don't already know), packages don't have to be in a repository to be installed. Yum can also install a local package (one that you've downloaded or built yourself).
Code:
yum install path_to_rpm_package
(yum used to use localinstall for this, but now just uses install for local & remote packages).

Also, you can mix i386 & x86_64 packages on an x86_64 system. And, some older Fedora packages still work with Fedora 17, even though they've been orphaned for several years. Fedora 17 has some fc15 packages. I also have a .fc10 package (nautilus-dropbox-1.4.0-1.fc10.x86_64.rpm).

Finally, rpm packages aren't necessarily a requirement (they do make it much easier to manage though). You can also install programs built from a "tar ball" (usually named with ".tgz", ".tar.gz" or similar). With those, you extracted the package's source somewhere, then use
Code:
make && make install
or sometimes
Code:
.configure && make && make install
(sometimes, you'll have to use sudo make install instead), if you do this as your user instead of "root").

Usually, a "tar ball" will have a file named README and/or INSTALL that will tell you what's required to build & install the program from source.

Last edited by cazo; 15th January 2013 at 05:55 AM.
Old 26th May 2013, 09:17 AM
Dwight Chroot Offline

linuxfirefox

Edit: Oops: there's a forum catagory for this...will report it myself;skip this -waste of your time.

Has anyone created a local repository of one that has been End of Life'd?

I ask because Fedora Core 6 was the first operating system that was capable of running correctly on a socket 939 based computer I built years ago.

I recently wanted to reload FC6 after my video card blew caps(capacitors)

It was unstable after that incident (The card, coincidentally perhaps, died at the precice moment I hit "download" on an intrustion detection suite Linux Distro iso image)

So I wanted to reinstall FC6 because I knew it worked, and because one of the reasons it worked is it had some upstream hardware tools I have never seen made available before or since(that doesn't mean they aren't available widely now, but I've not seen them)

The installer panicked because it couldn't find a valid mirror....shouldn't panic, it was programmed to panic, should simply warn....very apple powerpc of RH

You're supposed to have Sun and Adobe render it unsafe with "every patch is fatal."

Not make the installer panic after expiry of mirrors.

(In case developers are reading, just sayin' farm that out like Vpro AMT....plausible deniability??? 8-P

Even Apple lets you reinstall End Of LIfe versions....and they provide the updates still at least with tiger and leopard up to the EOL date....I was kind of disappointed with that, but not enough to try to work around it, installed PC-BSD 1.5 instead and it did run stable...I suspect newer OSes were killed by hardware DRM...or the lack of it.

Caveat: haven't checked the licenses, assume the folowing applies only to GNU/free software sourced from the package rights holder according to their licenses, and this would be a non-production pre-compliance template/catalogue only pending an audit:

I'm sure there's a way to rebuild old linux distros at least from optical media, and merge them even, which would be a fun thing to do with my archives. If anybody has a link to a tutorial on packhaging a hybrid distro, and diff/merge tools(if you have a favorite, or has a suggestion regarding building a local Dorian Gray hybrid distro repo....please don't hesitate to share...,

I haven't even built a custom kernel yet after quite a few years but that's the main weakness of the self-training/education method(miss things that would be on a formal syllabus and learn them later than you begin needing them..flounder in areas dependant on skipped core knowledge)

there are advantages also....the main one being the tendency to investigate many things that are omitted at the whim of indoctrination abuses.

But I generally am weak at Command line interface/ shell scripting. THat's likely the best way to do this(and most things) so

not asking for a Graphical User Intefrface tool, but if you have a good one share it too, might provide partial aassistance.

Last edited by Dwight Chroot; 26th May 2013 at 09:26 AM. Reason: You have a whole folder on this

Tags
archived, repository, setting