Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th October 2009, 02:33 PM
cheesysam Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
HDD losing interrupts.

Hi all,

My bootup time has all of a sudden become laboriously slow, a quick check in /var/log/messages shows hundreds of

Code:
kernel: ata7: lost interrupt (Status 0x50)
This happens also as I am using the system constantly. Is this a common problem?

Thanks ahead for any help, it is appreciated!
Old 11th October 2009, 03:11 PM
troyatlarge Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I have seen some claiming what sounds like a log flooding of Status 0x50 error via the hook-up of, or related to the use of some SADA drive chip sets. I have no idea what it all means, but it may be some sort of start for you.

UUID: 5a0128f0-55b8-11e0-b31d-eb482d4d1d3a
Old 11th October 2009, 03:48 PM
cheesysam Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Hi troyatlarge.

Do you have any more details on that, like a forum thread? Thanks for the reply.
Old 11th October 2009, 03:53 PM
parish Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Probably not the problem, but I've had hd errors in the past that were cleared up by disconnecting/reconnecting the data cable(s) to the drive(s). Not just pushing on then to make sure they were seated, but actually pulling them off and reconnecting them. Easy enough to try so at least worth a shot.

Daniel
Old 11th October 2009, 04:12 PM
cheesysam Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Hi Parish,

I've just done that, and after 10 minutes of it running, there are no errors. How bizarre. Sometimes it's the most simple of things.

I ran smartctl on the disk and it's given me a few errors about what seems to be bad sectors. Perhaps that could have caused it. Or perhaps it's time to start backing up data and looking at new drives.

Either way, thanks very much for helping, at least it is temporarily stable!
Old 11th October 2009, 05:03 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Uhm ... Yeah. Start backing up anything you want to keep. Hard drives don't heal.
Old 11th October 2009, 05:08 PM
parish Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Glad that may have worked for you. Bad sectors shown by smartctl should be remapped and handled automatically by the drive firmware, so they are not likely the cause of your problem. Unless of course it's getting so many more of them over time that it's running out of places to remap them.

As to backups, with the price of hds so low these days, I don't think there's much of an excuse to not have a backup of all of your stuff. Cheap, easy, and fast! How many things are like that these days!

Daniel

Tags
hdd, lost interrupt