Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th December 2005, 04:16 AM
aggreen Offline

Desktop Flashes and Reloads

Hi,

For some reason, starting today, my gnome desktop won't let me open up folders and directories in the GUI. Whenever I try to open up my Home or Filesystems folders, for example, my desktop repeatedly flashes and reloads until I close the empty shell of the folder that keeps flashing as well. I also get a "nautilus has unexpectedly quit" error message that comes up every few seconds. I'm really confused, as I don't think I did anything that could have messed my gnome environment up this bad. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Thanks
Old 28th December 2005, 10:42 AM
Thetargos Offline

This may sound odd, but for some reason Nautilus keeps crashing when trying to launch a window.

My first try to correct this, would be to completely erase the nautilius directory where all its settings are stored at. In order to do that you would have to type in a console:
Code:
rm -rf .nautilus
And probably you would have to also erase:
Code:
rm -rf .gnome2/nautilus-scripts
Try that and then see if you can open a nautilus after you restart your session.

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:
Old 28th December 2005, 06:17 PM
aggreen Offline

Thanks for the suggestion, but this didn't work either...

Just a quick correction to the post earlier... the nautilus crash error message doesn't come up every time, it seems to be fairly random. I'm not sure what this means, if anything.
Old 29th December 2005, 10:09 PM
aggreen Offline

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Tags
desktop, flashes, reloads