Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd March 2017, 03:03 PM
TablePC Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Hardware Software tools

I'm curious what tools other folks use for co-development of hardware and software projects.

I suppose that for software, it's not important for us to use the same tools, but just in case you're curious too: I use Eclipse. I chose Eclipse since is seemed to be very comprehensive with lots of good features and language support. If I decided later to change the language I use, I think I could continue using Eclipse just fine.

Since I'm near the topic, I chose Python for my current language. Thought I've written code in lots of languages, I hadn't done anything with Python before; it just became visible to me when I switch everything to Fedora back in F16 days. I looked it over and it had everything I wanted including libraries for GUI's, USB interface, and interface via good old serial and parallel ports. So Python is what I currently use.

Electronic design tool may be more critical in terms of us using to same tools if we want to exchange new device models we make. Everything I do is a one of a kind so I build circuits using wire-wrap or good old soldering. For that reason when I make new models I only make the schematic symbols and don't bother with PCB layout physical models.

So far I have been using gEDA. gEDA is in the Fedora repository, I like the feature set, it's got a reasonable library of symbols, and making new symbols is pretty easy. gEDA also has circuit board tools and it can work with Spice for simulation, but I haven't needed either one yet so I haven't set them up. I know there are two other tools in the Fedora repository (Kicad and Xcircuit) though I have no experience with them.

What tools are you using?
Old 3rd March 2017, 05:19 PM
flyingdutchman Offline

macosfirefox
Re: Hardware Software tools

Eagle is a professional PCB design tool that works well on Linux.

FreeCAD is good for mechanical design.

Tags
hardware, software, tools