Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th February 2017, 01:04 PM
User808 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Dark theme varient can not disabled in Cinnamon after an update !!

Hi. At 2 / 2 / 2017 I received upgrade for my Fedora 24 X64 Cinnamon edition. This update involve Cinnamon & new default themes: Arc, Arc-solid, Arc-dark, Arc-dark-solid.

Let me explaining:

- before this update I was already activated dark theme mode,

- but since I installed Cinnamon edition of Fedora many months ago, I noticed that dark theme mode in it NOT EFFECTIVELY WORKING as oposite to it in GNOME edition of Fedora.

- at 2 / 2 / 2017 I received this new update, & after restart PC I saw dark theme mode really working: it effect really all aspect of screen & windows as in GNOME Fedora.

- however, I try to disable dark theme mode, but it remain sticky !!

- I restart PC & it is still sticky till now !!

I think that they fix something but break other thing !

Any one can help please ?
Old 5th February 2017, 08:58 AM
Unsane Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Dark theme varient can not disabled in Cinnamon after an update !!

Hi There,

Just bumping this topic to say that I had a similar issue when I updated yesterday (my system hadn't been updated in a while). I'm not having the issue with the dark theme, but all of the user accounts on the machine after a reboot had different themes set-up (Controls were Arc-Dark and icons Mint-Y, Cinnamon theme was also different). As well as this, the Fonts have all also been changed and whereas the old default font was Cantarell 11, it is now Noto-Sans 9. All of the accounts hadn't had the fonts changed from the defaults, and I suspect that those have been changed for some reason in the latest update. The rest of my family are not as familiar with Linux as I am, and to log-on with a totally different looking desktop was quite a shock!

Does anybody have any ideas why all of this has happened (my Laptop was unaffected as I'd changed the default theme and fonts) and if there is any way of reverting it?

Thanks, Unsane
Old 5th February 2017, 12:55 PM
besser82 Offline

linuxchrome
Exclamation Re: Dark theme varient can not disabled in Cinnamon after an update !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by User808 View Post
Hi. At 2 / 2 / 2017 I received upgrade for my Fedora 24 X64 Cinnamon edition. This update involve Cinnamon & new default themes: Arc, Arc-solid, Arc-dark, Arc-dark-solid.

Let me explaining:

- before this update I was already activated dark theme mode,

- but since I installed Cinnamon edition of Fedora many months ago, I noticed that dark theme mode in it NOT EFFECTIVELY WORKING as oposite to it in GNOME edition of Fedora.

- at 2 / 2 / 2017 I received this new update, & after restart PC I saw dark theme mode really working: it effect really all aspect of screen & windows as in GNOME Fedora.

- however, I try to disable dark theme mode, but it remain sticky !!

- I restart PC & it is still sticky till now !!

I think that they fix something but break other thing !

Any one can help please ?
As you've already opened a bug-report (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1419264), we are discussing your problem there…
Old 5th February 2017, 01:02 PM
besser82 Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsane View Post
Hi There,

Just bumping this topic to say that I had a similar issue when I updated yesterday (my system hadn't been updated in a while). I'm not having the issue with the dark theme, but all of the user accounts on the machine after a reboot had different themes set-up (Controls were Arc-Dark and icons Mint-Y, Cinnamon theme was also different). As well as this, the Fonts have all also been changed and whereas the old default font was Cantarell 11, it is now Noto-Sans 9. All of the accounts hadn't had the fonts changed from the defaults, and I suspect that those have been changed for some reason in the latest update. The rest of my family are not as familiar with Linux as I am, and to log-on with a totally different looking desktop was quite a shock!

Does anybody have any ideas why all of this has happened (my Laptop was unaffected as I'd changed the default theme and fonts) and if there is any way of reverting it?

Thanks, Unsane

Hi Unsane,

we (the Cinnamon-maintainers in Fedora) decided to make these changes (Arc-Theme, Mint-Y-Icons, Noto Sans fonts, Fedora Logo as menu-icon) to get Cinnamon's look in Fedora a lot closer to what it is in current release (and will be in future releases) of Linux Mint.

Cheers
besser82
Old 5th February 2017, 04:19 PM
Unsane Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by besser82 View Post
Hi Unsane,

we (the Cinnamon-maintainers in Fedora) decided to make these changes (Arc-Theme, Mint-Y-Icons, Noto Sans fonts, Fedora Logo as menu-icon) to get Cinnamon's look in Fedora a lot closer to what it is in current release (and will be in future releases) of Linux Mint.

Cheers
besser82
Hi besser, thanks for responding to my message so quickly.

While I personally prefer the new look to the Cinnamon spin, it is a little jarring to suddenly have the desktop theme and fonts change half-way through a release. Changing everything back isn't much of an issue for someone who's used to Linux (provided you can remember what the old font settings were), but if you're not an experienced user it could feel like a bug in the update (which is what I initially thought had happened). My parents are also getting-on a little bit now and the smaller font makes it quite hard for them to read.

Basically what I'm saying is that it's great your trying to give the cinnamon spin a unique flavour and improve the look; but perhaps it might be better to leave major aesthetic changes until the next release?

Best regards, Unsane
Old 5th February 2017, 11:56 PM
Unknown3rdParty Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I've had another problem with the same update (3.Feb): the icons of main panel representing open applications are so wide that the icons appear as though there are large spaces between them; the applications I've added to the panel are on the left (they're fine), and the notification area is on the right (they're fine, too) BUT the open application icons in between appear spread out and they underlap the notification area. They were not prior to this update. When I select one, then hold the mouse over that icon, there's a bar that appears beneath the icon (the application with the focus) representing the space reserved for the entire icon ... it's over twice as wide as the bare icon itself! All that extra space is a complete waste.

So, yes, the look is jarring, but I can live with it because it's still the same paradigm; however, with enough applications open--and don't tell me to open fewer applications--the right-most icons on the panel go behind the notification area, so they are therefore unselectable from the panel.

Also, it would be nice if the main panel could have TWO rows instead of just one.

Update: 6.Feb ... update rolled out, no change.

Changed back to the Cinnamon theme ... it's fine. However, I still question the sense of double-wide application icons.

Consider it closed.

Last edited by Unknown3rdParty; 6th February 2017 at 10:27 PM.

Tags
cinnamon, dark, disabled, theme, update, varient