Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th February 2013, 05:23 PM
dciarnie Offline

linuxfirefox
Cannot disable software update check

Hi,

On KDE's System Settings | Software Management | Settings panel I have set "Check for distribution upgrades" and "Check for new updates" both to Never but my system insists on launching /usr/libexec/packagekitd when I log in. How can I disable this? Is this a KDE bug (in which case I will make a bug report)?

Thanks,
Dan.
Old 24th February 2013, 05:31 PM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Cannot disable software update check

Quote:
Originally Posted by dciarnie View Post
Hi,

On KDE's System Settings | Software Management | Settings panel I have set "Check for distribution upgrades" and "Check for new updates" both to Never but my system insists on launching /usr/libexec/packagekitd when I log in. How can I disable this? Is this a KDE bug (in which case I will make a bug report)?

Thanks,
Dan.
Did you remember to do this?

System Settings -> Startup and Shutdown -> Service Manager -> Uncheck "Apper Monitor" and while it's selected hit the "Stop" button -> finally "Apply" and you're done
Old 24th February 2013, 06:16 PM
dciarnie Offline

linuxfirefox

Hi, Marko.

No, I didn't remember to do that because I never knew about it. Thanks for the info.

So, it's not a bug since it "works as designed" but it is a defect since it is not reasonable to have to check multiple screens to do this.

Thanks,
Dan.
Old 24th February 2013, 08:23 PM
FunkyRes Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by dciarnie View Post
Hi, Marko.

No, I didn't remember to do that because I never knew about it. Thanks for the info.

So, it's not a bug since it "works as designed" but it is a defect since it is not reasonable to have to check multiple screens to do this.

Thanks,
Dan.
I agree with the sentiment in this post.
Old 26th February 2013, 02:31 AM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

It's probably supposed to work so that doing "Never" in the Software manager has the side effect of stopping/disabling Apper Monitor. So it could be a bug
Old 26th February 2013, 05:31 AM
dciarnie Offline

linuxfirefox

Actually, I am now putting this in the category of bug. I've now disabled Apper Monitor under Service Manager but it is still starting and I can't for the life of me figure out what is starting it.

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

I have now submitted a bug report for this on bugs.kde.org:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=315793

Tags
check, disable, software, update