Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd January 2009, 06:19 PM
optimistique1 Offline

screen flashes madly

Hi I just installed F10 KDE version today and it is awesome, I just have one thing that is bugging me.

Everytime I shutdown or restart the screen flashes madly before it eventually turns itself off. Sometimes I have to manually turn the computer off as it just keeps flashing madly.

Has anyone any ideas what this could be and how I could resolve it.

The laptop is a Compaq Presario CQ60 with Intel graphics card if that helps.

Many thanks

Garry
Old 3rd January 2009, 12:09 AM
PatMcLJr Offline

Quote:
Intel graphics
this seems to be giving a lot of folks some trouble.
maybe you could try the vesa drive in xorg.conf ? I have a S3 in my laptop and I have to use the vesa driver, the unichrome drive doesn't work very well for me. But if it's only giving trouble when you shut down you could try and shell out Ctl-Alt-Fx (execpt 1, then new Xorg terminal) and run
Code:
 shutdown -h now

Best of Luck,
Pat Jr.
Pat Jr.
Old 3rd January 2009, 04:18 PM
pwca Offline
Banned

Same problem here.

GOOD G-D...! We've been invaded by mad flashers!!! <... ...>
Old 6th February 2009, 09:50 PM
optimistique1 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMcLJr View Post
this seems to be giving a lot of folks some trouble.
maybe you could try the vesa drive in xorg.conf ? I have a S3 in my laptop and I have to use the vesa driver, the unichrome drive doesn't work very well for me. But if it's only giving trouble when you shut down you could try and shell out Ctl-Alt-Fx (execpt 1, then new Xorg terminal) and run
Code:
 shutdown -h now

Best of Luck,
Pat Jr.
Hi buddy sorry for th delay I have been away from home for a while.
Ok, so when I shutdown from F10 (I am now using Gnome), I just get a black screen flickering madly, there is no splash screen and it looks like there is a bit of white text at the top of the black screen but it's flickering so crazy I cannot read it.
Is there anyway to access a system log or something to see what exactly is causing the problem. I am VERY VERY new to linux any help will have to be very basic.
Many thanks
Garry
PS: How do I install the 'VESA' driver?
Old 5th March 2009, 03:30 PM
wt6g Offline

I've started having a similar problem, but not on shutdown. I leave my system on and shut off the monitor. When I turn on the monitor in the morning it flashes wildly (otherwise seems fine and I can even log in) and after about 20-30 flashes it stops. My guess is that some screen turn off commands are being cached somewhere and if the monitor is off they do not get sent. With activity on the keyboard and the screen turned on the commands are pushed to the monitor which blindly tries to obey them.

Never saw this on any previous versions or on any other OS.

/Len

Tags
flashes, madly, screen