Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd October 2009, 06:00 AM
Rutherford Offline

windows_vistafirefox
Cool ATI Driver Issues

I just recently installed Fedora 11 on my PC to duel boot. Everything installed just fine and I attempted to updated the video drivers to check out some of the enhanced workspace visuals. Upon installing the drivers I attempted to reboot and can not get the screen to load instead it displays random colors and lines and the screen is all jumbled. I'm rather new to linux and understand that the "drivers" are actually considered modules in the linux world. Can anybody tell me how to remove the defunct module and does anybody know a driver for the ATI 4800 series that will work with the fedora 11 kernal.

If it helps the video card I'm running is a 4870 Asus Dark Knight with 1GB of DDR5
Old 3rd October 2009, 06:21 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

linuxopera
Quote:
I attempted to updated the video drivers ... Upon installing the drivers I attempted to reboot and can not get the screen to load instead it displays random colors and lines and the screen is all jumbled.
What drivers ? Did you also update the rest of the OS software (especially: kernel, xorg*, mesa*, libdrm) ??

The video drivers are not modules - but the 3D video drivers require matching kernel driver modules ('kmods') to function. These are usually included in the kernel RPMs, and only work for the kernel that they come with. There is no need to remove "old" kmods.

Also: try adding kernel option 'nomodeset' to the boot parameters. See if that helps.

V
Old 4th October 2009, 01:01 AM
Rutherford Offline

windows_vistafirefox
Installed ATI 9.9 Propietary Linux Drivers, I'm pretty sure i install all the updates how would i check a linux machine?
Old 4th October 2009, 04:10 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

linuxopera
Ah: you installed the ATI proprietary driver. There are two detailed thread in "Guides and Solutions" that discuss this driver: one for the binary installer, one for the equivalent RPMs.

V
Old 4th October 2009, 06:25 AM
Rutherford Offline

windows_vistafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlingler View Post
Ah: you installed the ATI proprietary driver. There are two detailed thread in "Guides and Solutions" that discuss this driver: one for the binary installer, one for the equivalent RPMs.

V
Awesome thanks for the tip

Tags
ati, driver, issues