Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th June 2011, 03:51 PM
rcbandit Offline

linuxfirefox
Tool for building custom Fedora

Hi,
I need to build a custom Fedora distribution from the source code. I'm looking for a custom tool which I can use for automatic compilation of the packages - for example I put every package source code into one directory the tool handles the packages and compile them. Is there such a tool?

Can you guide me how the Fedora community compiles the source code?

Regards
Peter
Old 27th June 2011, 04:25 PM
fpmurphy Offline

windows_7chrome
Re: Tool for building custom Fedora

Pungi is one such tool.

Here is an old Redhat magazine article which provides an introduction to Pungi.
Old 6th April 2012, 07:18 PM
rcbandit Offline

linuxfirefox
Build custom Red Hat/Fedora from source

Hi,
I'm interested how I can build custom Red Hat/Fedora distro from source? Is there any procedure or document describing the build process?

Best wishes
Old 7th April 2012, 01:20 AM
jswmcw Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Build custom Red Hat/Fedora from source

As in recompiling all the source code? That sounds like a lot of unnecessary trouble. However, if you're a glutton for punishment, Linux From Scratch is built entirely from source. If all you really want to do is create your own custom spin (minus the recompiling), check out http://spins.fedoraproject.org/support. There are links to tutorials at the bottom of the page.
"Anybody who tells me I can't use a program because it's not open source, go suck on rms. I'm not interested. 99% of that I run tends to be open source, but that's _my_ choice, dammit." -- Linus Torvalds, 2004.
Old 7th April 2012, 07:03 AM
kurtdriver Offline

linuxfirefox

Does it need from source? If so, Slackware would be a lot easier, build it the way you want. Fedora has a tool for building custom distros, or spins, check out this link https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_t..._use_a_Live_CD
Old 7th April 2012, 12:30 PM
rcbandit Offline

linuxfirefox

Can you tell me what is the big difference between building Red Hat, Slackware and Debian?
Old 7th April 2012, 12:41 PM
satanselbow Offline

linuxchrome
Wink Re: Build custom Red Hat/Fedora from source

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbandit View Post
Can you tell me what is the big difference between building Red Hat, Slackware and Debian?
If you don't know the answer to that one already - you really don't want to try and build an entire distro from source...

And I really don't mean that as a put down - just a reality check...

There is a certain logic behind building your own RedHat - as it is not a "libre" distro. Debian / Slackware / Fedora are pretty bare-bones already (compared with some) so unless you are missing specific kernel modules / firmware there really isn't much good reason (apart from academic exercise) to build an entire distro from source. You would only need to recompile the kernel in that case anyway

Surprised no-one has thrown Gentoo in as an alternative - plenty of compiling involved there with a much greater level of community support available than the same task on Deb / Fed etc.
Old 7th April 2012, 01:12 PM
rcbandit Offline

linuxfirefox

Can you share with us some experience? Have you been involved in a similar project?
Old 7th April 2012, 02:19 PM
bonedome Offline

linuxfirefox

Hello
CentOS is pretty much what you describe, RedHat rebuilt from source.
As mentioned, building an entire os from source seems like an unnecessary headache and only a very small advantage.
Most distros (incluing centos and fedora) do a minimal install that can be built to only include those packages you deem absolutely necessary
Old 7th April 2012, 02:57 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Threads merged. One per customer per subject. If you have any questions, please see the posting rules/guidelines.

Tags
build, building, custom, fedora, hat or fedora, red, source, tool