Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th June 2017, 11:36 PM
satanselbow Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Inkscape

Been exclusively Inkscape in my print shop for about 5 years now - only time the big I comes out is when clients send patent encumbered source
Old 26th June 2017, 11:21 AM
HaydnH Offline

windows_7chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
waking the dead thread. I finally got round to having a go with inkscape today. I wanted some different cards for aisleriot so decided to see how inkscape works. I've done a couple of new backs but will dabble with the more complex fronts next.

I've found Inkscape rather awkward to get to grips with, I've used it to convert raster images to vector images but it seems totally un-intuitive to draw with.
Old 26th June 2017, 12:12 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

I didn't draw with Inkscape but learnt to import and embed the images I made to the svgz files. I rendered the images in GIMP at 240ppi for scalability to HiDPI for a little future proofing.

I needed to figure out how since GIMP doesn't support the compressed SVG format. There are multiple layers and groups which make up each card set all in the one file. So while I made pictures in GIMP, figuring out the group and layers etc. was the rather unintuitive bit. Possibly there are newer, better versions of Inkscape than the one included with CentOS 7 which make this easier.

Also, it's not a simple case of centering an embeded object over an existing card frame because for some reason all the cards are slightly offset to their frames in the template file which is annoying.

I may try drawing the card symbols for the fronts I'm making. Just to see how much of a 'mare it is. I use CAD occasionally still and am therefore used to some of the terminology Inkscape uses though.
| Live ISO Respins containing post-release updates
Old 26th June 2017, 01:00 PM
HaydnH Offline

windows_7chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
I didn't draw with Inkscape but learnt to import and embed the images I made to the svgz files.
The "Path -> Trace Bitmap" function is what I've used it for most, it basically takes a raster image and creates a vector image/path from it.

Trying to draw a circle for example just seems odd to me, if I click the circle tool and click/drag in the drawing pane I kind of expect to get a circle/ellipse... instead I get a dashed box with an X in the middle with 2 little circles and squares... and no hints on how to turn it in to a circle. I guess tutorials are the only way to start with it rather than jumping in and trying to figure it out.
Old 26th June 2017, 03:35 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

yep, it's way too much of a faff. I'll carry on editing images with GIMP and import them after
Old 26th June 2017, 04:11 PM
HaydnH Offline

windows_7chrome

Oh Jesus!! I just googled why the shapes don't draw, by default the fill and stroke opacity is 0%... i.e: by default the shapes are transparent... WTF!?! Who on earth thought that was a good idea? No wonder I couldn't get on with it...
Old 26th June 2017, 05:30 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

It is a very odd program. I found the same trying to fiddle with object stroke and fill which is why I just decided to stick with GIMP for simplicity. i think learning shortcut keys for inkscape is essential. either that or use the object code editor more than the wysiwyg mode.
Old 26th June 2017, 11:09 PM
satanselbow Offline

linuxchrome

Can't say i've ever had transparency at 0% by default... forgotten to raise it back up a few times...

It's a case of using the right tool for the job - and a tool you are competent at using lol

I find illustrator majorly counter-intuitive when I am forced to use it but it is still held up as the industry leader... that is mostly by Adobe though... and there are still some scarily large design shops running their software on stolen keys lol

Tags
inkscape