Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th March 2017, 10:37 PM
stratacast1 Offline

linuxfirefox
Color confused software

I came to a realization today. I use a Nikon D300 for my work and an assortment of Nikon/Tamron/Sigma lenses. I shoot in RAW and use Darktable for editing them and exporting them to JPEG. I took a picture last night and loved it, showed the picture on my iPhone and then came back to my computer screen because my mom wanted to see the picture on a big screen. Welp. The color of the same picture on my iPhone was different from my monitor! This surprised me because it's 100% sRGB and I "color calibrated" it (took an ICC profile off the Internet, yes not the best). But here's the kicker! Darktable and Gwenview display an identical image, but after further investigation, the same image opened up in Shotwell looks like the photo both on my iPhone and on my camera display! So now I realize all this time, I have probably been doing a meh job of editing because apparently Darktable is not color accurate. So....what do I do now? Now if I mock up my images to more accurately represent what I remember seeing, the picture will not be the same output?
Old 20th March 2017, 11:01 AM
antikythera Online
Administrator

linuxchrome
Re: Color confused software

that's what I hate about having to use profiles. there is no guarantee they will actually work with the software that is supposed to read them. I've noticed similar with editing pictures on one machine in GIMP configured to sRGB using the manufacturer's own profiles from my camera (they look okay to me) and then viewing them on another (also configured to sRGB) in the past where they look completely messed up.

I've no answer to this conundrum though. I thought ICC sRGB was a universal specification but do recall a lot of reviews stating that even if a display can be set to sRGB the support of that colour range may not be 100% accurate. I guess that is why the pros still prefer to use Macs with retina displays for image and video editing because they know what they are getting will be consistent.
Old 20th March 2017, 11:48 AM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Color confused software

@strata

could you post 2 images , one that "looks same everywhere", and one that "looks different on iphone and darktable" ?

if they are private, just crop them to a point where I can just investigate this further.
cheers

Tags
color, confused, software