Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th September 2012, 06:00 PM
settingsun Offline

linuxfirefox
How do I use rsync to backup the fedora os?

I'm learning to use rsync. I read it is a good idea to back up the operating system settings along with the scripts I wrote. Things like configuration files, users, etc. That way, if a crash occurs, I don't have to rewrite the code or rebuild the operating system.

Is there a way for a working fedora os to hold a copy of it's own files (as a backup) without executing them? I don't want an os running on top of an os.

Can someone give me an example of a shell script that would do this?

Thank you
Old 5th September 2012, 08:55 PM
secipolla Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: How do I use rsync to backup the fedora os?

You would have to make the backup in another drive, I suppose, if you want to cover a hard-drive failure, otherwise you would back up to another partition.
Old 12th September 2012, 01:04 AM
ItsTheSource Offline

linuxchrome
Re: How do I use rsync to backup the fedora os?

If you want to backup important configuration files then I would use an include file. Although probably not syntactically correct it would look something like this:
Code:
# cat /root/rsync_backup.lst
+ /etc/shadow
+ /etc/passwd
+ /etc/group
- /etc/*
Then use the include-from option to specify the absolute path of the include file.
Code:
# rsync -vrlEpoght --stats --progress --delete --include-from=/root/rsync_backup.lst
Once you get everything working, you can use cron to back them up as often as you'd like. You can also sync them to dropbox if you sync them to a directory that dropbox is watching.

Tags
backup, fedora, rsync