Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th August 2012, 09:07 PM
Adrian719 Offline

windows_7firefox
Big issues, need help.

Hey guys,
Yesterday i helped my cousin install Fedora 17 on his laptop. We created a separate partition for fedora, so he could dual boot with win 7.
We installed 15 first, and were going to use preupgrade to upgrade to F17, however, he decided to stick with f15. So I told him to update through terminal, and here's where we ran into a problem. He was in the middle of the updates, and shutdown his computer. This gave us an issue, and we couldn't boot back into f15. So he managed to get back into win 7, and deleted a partition which we thought Fedora was on. He then rebooted, and the computer boots straight to the GRUB> line. We are able to get onto windows if we type
Quote:
title windows
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
boot (hd0,0)
Which brings us to acer e-recovery.
Now my question is, is there anyway to completely bypass the grub line?

I'm hoping that the acer recovery program will remove the fedora partition, or at least allow it to boot straight into windows 7, but I'm not sure if it will.

Thanks!
Old 5th August 2012, 10:11 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Big issues, need help.

If you want to stay with Fedora 15, then consider simply re-installing it. Install Fedora into the same partition or space as you did before. Allow Anaconda (the Fedora installer) to install GRUB in the master boot record (the default option, and the way it was before). You should end up with the situation ante-problem: boots legacy GRUB directly, presents the Fedora 15 boot menu, and Windows will either be in the menu or can be added later.

If your cousin would like to reconsider Fedora 17, you could do a clean installation of it from the DVD. Install Fedora 17 into the same partition or space formerly occupied by Fedora 15. Choose the same boot loader option during the installation. Fedora 17 installs GRUB 2 instead of legacy GRUB like Fedora 15, but the boot loader arrangement should end up about the same: boots GRUB 2 directly, presents the Fedora 17 boot menu, and Windows will either be in the menu or can be added later. Success installing Fedora 17 will be less predictable than re-installing Fedora 15, IMO, because of certain requirements of GRUB 2 that did not exist with legacy GRUB. But it (theoretically) will do no harm to try.

P.S.: About your direct question... The only way I know to "bypass" the GRUB prompt is to restore the Windows boot loader to the master boot record. I don't know if that Acer e-recovery does that or not. Maybe somebody else knows exactly what tasks it performs. But if you're going to re-install Fedora anyway, all of that Windows repair and restore stuff probably is not necessary.

Tags
big, issues