Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11th September 2012, 07:59 PM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pitt,PA
Posts: 1,263
linuxfirefox
The features(less) gnome 3.6!

I used to be the guy who liked fedora for gnome 3, until gnome 3.4.
Gnome 3.6 has cut down a lot of features from the previous versions of gnome3.
I don't know why.

1. The nautilus 3.6 has been chopped of its arms and legs. They made it totally useless. They moved the things in nautilus for no big valid reason. Just see how many features have been removed from nautilus. If you have maximized nautilus, there is no way to minimize by double or single clicking the top bar. You have to hold the window and drag it down.
https://live.gnome.org/Nautilus/Roadmap/3.6

2. gnome-shell 3.6
The applications menu is moved to the side-dock and its not on the top. Its on the bottom and it non customizable. So if I have to look for an application I have to reach the activities hot corner move all the way down to the apps icon in dock and move horizontally to look and click on the app. It sucks big time. The notifications cannot be reached by bringing your mouse down to the bottom rt corner seamlessly like in gnome 3.4.You have to stay there at the rt bottom corner for a 'second' to bring the notifications up and its opaque and looks horrible.The function is deformed now. I don't know why they would do that?
The official explanation
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/De...es/MessageTray

3. GDM screen
I 'm not sure whether its a bug, but the lock screen doesn't seem to unlock the desktop the second time, rather it moves to a new shell with a grey background. there is no menu to change your preferred desktop environment. Gnome-shell and gdm are co-dependant packages in fedora now. you simply cannot separate these packages. There is no documentation of why they have linked these two evils together!
__________________
LENOVO Y580 FHD Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz × 8 |660M GTX NVIDIA | 16 GB SSD
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11th September 2012, 08:12 PM
Bazu135 Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Luton, UK
Age: 29
Posts: 291
linuxfirefox
Re: The features(less) gnome 3.6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadrons123 View Post
2. gnome-shell 3.6
The applications menu is moved to the side-dock and its not on the top. Its on the bottom and it non customizable. So if I have to look for an application I have to reach the activities hot corner move all the way down to the apps icon in dock and move horizontally to look and click on the app. It sucks big time. The notifications cannot be reached by bringing your mouse down to the bottom rt corner seamlessly like in gnome 3.4.You have to stay there at the rt bottom corner for a 'second' to bring the notifications up and its opaque and looks horrible.The function is deformed now. I don't know why they would do that?
The official explanation
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/De...es/MessageTray
"More specific goals include:

- permit the user to stay focused on the primary task"

Ah, yes... That old ADD-friendly mantra

I must admit, as an Xfce user I can't work for more than five minutes without customising something else
__________________
I generally use two tools - trial and error. They fix most things eventually!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11th September 2012, 08:18 PM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pitt,PA
Posts: 1,263
linuxfirefox
Re: The features(less) gnome 3.6!

I would happily move to cinnamon,but currently in f18 it has dependeny issues.
Code:
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Package: muffin-1.0.6-3.fc18.x86_64 (fedora)
           Requires: libcogl.so.9()(64bit)
           Available: cogl-1.10.4-2.fc18.x86_64 (fedora)
               libcogl.so.9()(64bit)
           Installed: cogl-1.11.4-1.fc18.x86_64 (@updates-testing)
               Not found
Error: Package: cinnamon-1.5.2-8.fc18.x86_64 (updates-testing)
           Requires: libcogl.so.9()(64bit)
           Available: cogl-1.10.4-2.fc18.x86_64 (fedora)
               libcogl.so.9()(64bit)
           Installed: cogl-1.11.4-1.fc18.x86_64 (@updates-testing)
               Not found
 You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
 You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
__________________
LENOVO Y580 FHD Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz × 8 |660M GTX NVIDIA | 16 GB SSD
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11th September 2012, 08:24 PM
Yellowman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
linuxfirefox
Re: The features(less) gnome 3.6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadrons123 View Post
I would happily move to cinnamon,but currently in f18 it has dependeny issues.
Code:
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Package: muffin-1.0.6-3.fc18.x86_64 (fedora)
           Requires: libcogl.so.9()(64bit)
           Available: cogl-1.10.4-2.fc18.x86_64 (fedora)
               libcogl.so.9()(64bit)
           Installed: cogl-1.11.4-1.fc18.x86_64 (@updates-testing)
               Not found
Error: Package: cinnamon-1.5.2-8.fc18.x86_64 (updates-testing)
           Requires: libcogl.so.9()(64bit)
           Available: cogl-1.10.4-2.fc18.x86_64 (fedora)
               libcogl.so.9()(64bit)
           Installed: cogl-1.11.4-1.fc18.x86_64 (@updates-testing)
               Not found
 You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
 You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
Try this.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/attach...1&d=1347387678


and this

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6907158/muf...c18.x86_64.rpm


It's basically my next cinnamon push (it's still a WIP) but I'm unable to build it a koji due to the alpha freeze.


P.S When I'm less jet lagged I will start the nemo (nautilus-3.4 fork for cinnamon) review request so F18 won't to much
Attached Files
File Type: rpm cinnamon-1.5.8-1.fc18.x86_64.rpm (1.15 MB, 124 views)

Last edited by Yellowman; 11th September 2012 at 08:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11th September 2012, 08:30 PM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pitt,PA
Posts: 1,263
linuxfirefox
Re: The features(less) gnome 3.6!

Thanks for attaching the cinnamon rpm. But i would need muffin too.
For some reason, I guess you could be leigh.
__________________
LENOVO Y580 FHD Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz × 8 |660M GTX NVIDIA | 16 GB SSD
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11th September 2012, 08:42 PM
Yellowman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
linuxfirefox
Re: The features(less) gnome 3.6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadrons123 View Post
Thanks for attaching the cinnamon rpm. But i would need muffin too.
For some reason, I guess you could be leigh.
Correct

You missed my edit

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6907158/muf...c18.x86_64.rpm

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

Here's some more info about the next cinnamon release

http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=195




and nemo

http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=198
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11th September 2012, 08:43 PM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pitt,PA
Posts: 1,263
linuxfirefox
Re: The features(less) gnome 3.6!

I was gonna ask you that. Are you going to build nemo for fedora?

Edit 1:
Ok, my bad. you answered me already.

Edit 2:
The only thing that made me happy today is, you (Leigh) are already here.
Even greg is back on a different profile as demz3.
Good to see you guys.
__________________
LENOVO Y580 FHD Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz × 8 |660M GTX NVIDIA | 16 GB SSD

Last edited by hadrons123; 11th September 2012 at 08:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11th September 2012, 10:22 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3,924
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: The features(less) gnome 3.6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowman View Post
P.S When I'm less jet lagged I will start the nemo (nautilus-3.4 fork for cinnamon) review request so F18 won't to much
Hopefully, won't be as bad an experience as cinnamon!

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

I just tried these two items

Quote:
  • Items in the message tray will be considerably larger, 48x48px.
  • Message tray isn't an overlay, but modal in a way. It pushes the view up.
This is just complete nonsense. Of course, I have ignored other irritating behaviors ...

This is from someone using GNOME Shell everyday!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 19th January 2013, 10:10 PM
snagles Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3
linuxchrome
Re: The features(less) gnome 3.6!

Hi guys,

I want to ask the question, because I didn't find in settings. Is there possibility to configure mouse to work with single click.
In previews version of gnome this functionality is working, but now every one execution of app should be double clicked.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 19th January 2013, 10:48 PM
hmaarrfk Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 220
linuxchrome
Re: The features(less) gnome 3.6!

hadrons123, I'm with you on some of the issues.

Have you tried the windows buttons extension?
https://extensions.gnome.org/extensi...indow-buttons/

I find it pretty useful with
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/354/maximus/
(but I'm a minimalist so it may not suit you)

I have to say, I kept my mind open about Gnome, but there seems to be a disconnect between the devs and the feedback they get from users. I guess what you could do is to make your voice heard on
http://forums.worldofgnome.org/

Man, I've had issues with GDM for quite some time.
I feel like it is just hard to test.... did you try to file a bug?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 20th January 2013, 03:48 AM
ryptyde Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Tragic City, Michigan USA
Posts: 1,650
linuxfirefox
Re: The features(less) gnome 3.6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagles View Post
Hi guys,

I want to ask the question, because I didn't find in settings. Is there possibility to configure mouse to work with single click.
In previews version of gnome this functionality is working, but now every one execution of app should be double clicked.

Thanks.
I installed both "nemo-actions" and "nautilus-action" plus "gnome-tweak-tool" and I have the menu now with "File, Edit, etc" and under Edit is the Preference entry to change the mouse click behavior.

phil
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 20th January 2013, 06:43 AM
hmaarrfk Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 220
linuxchrome
Re: The features(less) gnome 3.6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagles View Post
Hi guys,

I want to ask the question, because I didn't find in settings. Is there possibility to configure mouse to work with single click.
In previews version of gnome this functionality is working, but now every one execution of app should be double clicked.

Thanks.

In Nautilus or the Gnome-Shell launcher?


If you mean Nautilus

1. Open Nautilus
2. Click on "Files" Beside the "Activities" button on the panel..
3. Preferences
4. Behaviour
5. Select: "Single Click To open ....."
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 20th January 2013, 04:08 PM
joncr Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 1,276
linuxchrome
Re: The features(less) gnome 3.6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadrons123 View Post

1. The nautilus 3.6 has been chopped of its arms and legs... If you have maximized nautilus, there is no way to minimize by double or single clicking the top bar. You have to hold the window and drag it down.
While I've never made much use of Nautilus (and now Files) to actually manage files, I agree that removing existing, working, features appears odd. From time to time, someone on the Gnome team mentions resource constraints as a motive for eliminating features. I.e., If a feature is eliminated, then developers and designers will not need to spend time in the future maintaining that feature. You would do this if you were concerned about personnel resources. You might also do it if the dev(s) for Feature A had already left and no one stepped forward as a successor.

Quote:
2. gnome-shell 3.6
The applications menu is moved to the side-dock and its not on the top. Its on the bottom and it non customizable. So if I have to look for an application I have to reach the activities hot corner move all the way down to the apps icon in dock and move horizontally to look and click on the app. It sucks big time. The notifications cannot be reached by bringing your mouse down to the bottom rt corner seamlessly like in gnome 3.4.You have to stay there at the rt bottom corner for a 'second' to bring the notifications up and its opaque and looks horrible.
At the heart of this is the fact that the Dash is included as part of the overview. If it was not, but could be exposed by moving the mouse cursor against the edge of the screen, as you would with a normal dock, then users would not need to drag the mouse all over the screen just to display a menu of available applications. The insistence that the only ways to trigger the Overview are via the Super key or the top left corner is a bad decision. Many Gnome users make little use of the keyboard, so the Super key approach is an irritant for them. (If I was that much of a keyboard user, I'd ditch Gnome and run a tiled window manager. IMHO, the increased reliance on the keyboard in Gnome is skewed by the habits and preferences of keyboard-reliant Gnome devs.) I can't believe anyone relishes all the mouse movement needed to get to the app overview.

I like the idea of triggering the notification area display from anywhere along its top edge. But, it does take too long for the trigger to work. They delay should be shortened considerably, if not eliminated. (What's the delay's purpose?) And, yes, aesthetically, it's not very pleasing. Looks undone. Why not treat it like a quasi-panel that autohides?

Quote:
3. GDM screen
I 'm not sure whether its a bug, but the lock screen doesn't seem to unlock the desktop the second time, rather it moves to a new shell with a grey background. there is no menu to change your preferred desktop environment...
I haven't seen that. Do you mean the second time you unlock after a restart?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 29th January 2013, 09:09 PM
Ihatewindows Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 1,135
macossafari
Re: The features(less) gnome 3.6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazu135 View Post
"More specific goals include:

- permit the user to stay focused on the primary task"

Ah, yes... That old ADD-friendly mantra

I must admit, as an Xfce user I can't work for more than five minutes without customising something else
For me the defaults are almost perfect. All that really matters to me is wheather or not things are in a logical spot.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A list of features discussed for Gnome 3.2 tox Linux Chat 18 14th June 2011 10:09 PM
New Features For KDE 4.4 Desktop Demz Linux Chat 0 3rd November 2009 10:55 PM
Features of FC6 Skinney Fedora Focus 38 19th June 2006 08:04 PM
How Can I Suggest New Features? AMD-Z Fedora Core 3 Test Releases 4 18th July 2004 05:30 AM


Current GMT-time: 05:07 (Saturday, 29-11-2014)

TopSubscribe to XML RSS for all Threads in all ForumsFedoraForumDotOrg Archive
logo

All trademarks, and forum posts in this site are property of their respective owner(s).
FedoraForum.org is privately owned and is not directly sponsored by the Fedora Project or Red Hat, Inc.

Privacy Policy | Term of Use | Posting Guidelines | Archive | Contact Us | Founding Members

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2012, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

FedoraForum is Powered by RedHat
Ventspils Autoosta Instagram Photos - Wuzhen