Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 31st August 2010, 06:13 PM
UserName5273 Offline

windows_7firefox
Question A complete Software listing for a RHEL5 box (NOT an RPM/package dump)

I have a need for a complete software list off of an existing RHEL 5 system.

I need this list to compare software installed to software on a government approved software list to ensure the compliance of this system.

I was given an RPM Dump, listing all the 2000+ packages on the system... This does not translate to the Government Approved software list that I have to compare to.

I do not have access to this system myself, so what ever method is prescribed for extracting the list I will have to pass along.

What I need is either:

1) A way to convert an RPM Package dump to actual software names and versions, etc.

OR

2) A method to extract a complete list of software (titles/versions/etc) from an instance of RHEL5.

Example:

Instead of knowing that "pango-devel-1.14.9-6.el5" exists on the system I need to know that "Pango v3.0.x" is installed on the system. Many packages do not relate on a one to one basis with a specific piece of software via inter-dependencies etc. (not to mention the version of the software, not the version of the package/library). The Pango example is not the best example as you can see what software is likely the source of this package; however just because this package is installed, I cannot grantee 100% that the Pango software suite is installed, just that this package was installed...

Please help if any knows a way to extract a complete software list (not a package listing) from a RHEL5 box, or a way to convert a complete RPM Dump to a complete software list (however I do not think that is a feasible or accurate option)

Thanks!

-Ben
Old 31st August 2010, 09:56 PM
boardstretcher Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: A complete Software listing for a RHEL5 box (NOT an RPM/package dump)

Sorry it took so long for someone to answer such an easy question.

rpm -qi packagename
Old 31st August 2010, 10:03 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

linuxkonqueror

Quote:
I have a need for a complete software list off of an existing RHEL 5 system.
You are of course welcome to ask questions about RHEL 5 here, and are likely to get useful responses, however, since it does not concern Fedora directly: moved to "Linux Chat".

Good Luck,
V
Old 1st September 2010, 02:27 PM
boardstretcher Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlingler View Post
You are of course welcome to ask questions about RHEL 5 here, and are likely to get useful responses, however, since it does not concern Fedora directly: moved to "Linux Chat".

Good Luck,
V
Since Fedora is the upstream of RHEL, and the question is technically about RPM, which is the backbone of Fedora package management, would this really be regarded as "not concerning Fedora"?

Seems to me like something that a Fedora user could run into and find useful.

Tags
list, package, rhel, rpm, software