Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th December 2016, 08:19 AM
nobody Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Question ARM Raspberry Pi 3+ support with Fedora 25

Hello Folks,

I am looking right now (for some of my future ARM based embedded projects) to make some estimates, and I need some extra opinions, in addition what I already found on the net and on Fedora sites (fedoraproject.org).

Here is what s far I found about HW: https://www.amazon.de/Raspberry-Pi-P...ds=raspberry+4
Quote:
- 1.2 GHz Quad Core ARM cortex-a53
- RAM: 1 GB LPDDR2 Speicher
- Dual Core VideoCore IV® Multimedia-CO-Prozessor
- Bluetooth
And here is what I found about SW: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
Quote:
- Fedora 25 images can be downloaded here:
- Fedora Workstation 25
- Fedora Server 25
- Fedora 25 Minimal
Fedora 25 Spins
Questions:
[1] Can I build Fedora 25 minimal using 16GB SD card and 1 GB LPDDR2?
[2] Can I use other Quad Core ARM cortex-a53 HW to do similar with the same Fedora 25 minimal?
[3] Does anybody actually built [1]?
[4] The same question about [2], with net pointers (if possible) to used HW?
[5] Anything else you would like to add?

Thank you in advance,
_nobody_
Old 4th December 2016, 10:56 AM
srakitnican Offline

linuxchrome
Re: ARM Raspberry Pi 3+ support with Fedora 25

There are build available for use with ARM computers, not sure is it will work with this particular model, though. But I believe it should work.

https://arm.fedoraproject.org

P.S. You can also consider Orange Pi, much better bang for the buck in terms of hardware, but official support is not that great, and since you are using custom software anyway, I don't think it matters.

Last edited by srakitnican; 4th December 2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 5th December 2016, 05:15 AM
nobody Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Thumbs up Re: ARM Raspberry Pi 3+ support with Fedora 25

Thank you, srakitnican!

I boarded this forum to introduce/explore the second branch in my career: setting INTEL based servers, but there, suddenly, other opportunity came along: embedded ARM Linux handling! One I did not anticipate.

Now I am torn in between Fedora ARM, and YOCTO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNLYanJAQ3s#t=6.101879

I'll figure it out (I worked 20 months ago with YOCTO, and it seems more mature now). I am in exploratory mode, deep one. So, for me to explore, and add Linux Fedora/YOCTO ARM embedded handling (for sure as development system I'll use Fedora 25 distro)!

So, this will be the third branch added in my further career, since these things pay VERY good (I should say).

_nobody_
Old 7th December 2016, 07:50 AM
nobody Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Talking Re: ARM Raspberry Pi 3+ support with Fedora 25

Started YOCTO, since I watched couple of videos, simply to refresh my (full of Black Holes) mind, and now it seems that I even better understand the damned thing which nobody sane should use... YOCTO, full distro builder!

Well, since for this I need at least bare metal installed Fedora 25 Linux on the micro-server (8 core machine) with 2TB HDD, I still decided to use my F25 VM, and to try to build core-image-minimal, knowing that this thing will take approximately 30GB of my SSD. And I have "only" 100GB dynamically configured virtual SSD dedicated out of my physical SAMSUNG 500GB SSD.

I needed to solve couple of practical problems, first to configure local.conf, and then to adopt my F25 VM with sufficient # of packaging supporting YOCTO build.

And here is the output (as always, I'll supply shortened CLI transcript what I did, and where I am now):

Quote:
[intel@localhost build]$ bitbake core-image-minimal
WARNING: Host distribution "Fedora-25" has not been validated with this version of the build system; you may possibly experience unexpected failures. It is recommended that you use a tested distribution.

(has NOT been validated, VALIDATING it BY FOR me as we speak)!

ERROR: OE-core's config sanity checker detected a potential misconfiguration.
Either fix the cause of this error or at your own risk disable the checker (see sanity.conf).
Following is the list of potential problems / advisories:

Please install the following missing utilities: makeinfo,chrpath

Summary: There was 1 WARNING message shown.
Summary: There was 1 ERROR message shown, returning a non-zero exit code.

(here I found one more package missing during first 12% of making YOCTO: perl-bignum, which scripts in pre-compiled time did not detect)

[root@localhost build]# dnf install texinfo-6.1-3.fc25.x86_64
[root@localhost build]# dnf install chrpath-0.16-3.fc24.x86_64
[root@localhost build]# dnf install perl-bignum-0.42-377.fc25.noarch
And, after approximately 85% compiled, I failed on QEMUx86 simulator (which I wanted to run the whole distro)!

Code:
[intel@localhost build]$ bitbake core-image-minimal
WARNING: Host distribution "Fedora-25" has not been validated with this version of the build system; you may possibly experience unexpected failures. It is recommended that you use a tested distribution.
Parsing recipes: 100% |#####| Time: 0:00:55
Parsing of 863 .bb files complete (0 cached, 863 parsed). 1315 targets, 50 skipped, 0 masked, 0 errors.
NOTE: Resolving any missing task queue dependencies

Build Configuration:
BB_VERSION        = "1.32.0"
BUILD_SYS         = "x86_64-linux"
NATIVELSBSTRING   = "universal"
TARGET_SYS        = "i586-poky-linux"
MACHINE           = "qemux86"
DISTRO            = "poky"
DISTRO_VERSION    = "2.2"
TUNE_FEATURES     = "m32 i586"
TARGET_FPU        = ""
meta
meta-poky
meta-yocto-bsp    = "morty:73454473d7c286c41ee697f74052fed03c79f9f5"

Initialising tasks: 100% |######| Time: 0:00:06
NOTE: Executing SetScene Tasks
NOTE: Executing RunQueue Tasks
WARNING: libpng-native-1.6.24-r0 do_fetch: Failed to fetch URL http://distfiles.gentoo.org/distfiles/libpng-1.6.24.tar.xz, attempting MIRRORS if available
WARNING: sysvinit-2.88dsf-r14 do_fetch: Failed to fetch URL http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/sysvinit/sysvinit-2.88dsf.tar.bz2, attempting MIRRORS if available
WARNING: core-image-minimal-1.0-r0 do_testimage_auto: Qemu ended unexpectedly, dump data from host is in /tmp/oe-saved-tests/201612070814_qemu
ERROR: core-image-minimal-1.0-r0 do_testimage_auto: Function failed: core-image-minimal - FAILED to start qemu - check the task log and the boot log
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /home/intel/projects/poky/poky/build/tmp/work/qemux86-poky-linux/core-image-minimal/1.0-r0/temp/log.do_testimage_auto.77887
Log data follows:
| DEBUG: Executing python function do_testimage_auto
| NOTE: rootfs file: /home/intel/projects/poky/poky/build/tmp/deploy/images/qemux86/core-image-minimal-qemux86.ext4
| NOTE: Qemu log file: /home/intel/projects/poky/poky/build/tmp/work/qemux86-poky-linux/core-image-minimal/1.0-r0/testimage/qemu_boot_log.20161207045652
| NOTE: SSH log file: /home/intel/projects/poky/poky/build/tmp/work/qemux86-poky-linux/core-image-minimal/1.0-r0/testimage/ssh_target_log.20161207045652
| Created listening socket for qemu serial console on: 127.0.0.1:54593
| NOTE: Created listening socket for qemu serial console on: 127.0.0.1:54593
| Created listening socket for qemu serial console on: 127.0.0.1:48587
| NOTE: Created listening socket for qemu serial console on: 127.0.0.1:48587

[snap]

| and output from runqemu:
| runqemu - INFO - MACHINE: qemux86
| runqemu - INFO - DEPLOY_DIR_IMAGE: /home/intel/projects/poky/poky/build/tmp/deploy/images/qemux86
| runqemu - INFO - CONFFILE: /home/intel/projects/poky/poky/build/tmp/deploy/images/qemux86/core-image-minimal-qemux86.qemuboot.conf
| runqemu - INFO - Continuing with the following parameters:
| 
| stty: 'standard input': Inappropriate ioctl for device
| runqemu - INFO - Running /usr/sbin/ip link...
| runqemu - INFO - Setting up tap interface under sudo
| sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified
| runqemu - INFO - Acquiring lockfile /tmp/qemu-tap-locks/.lock...
| runqemu - INFO - Created tap:
| runqemu - ERROR - Failed to setup tap device. Run runqemu-gen-tapdevs to manually create.
| runqemu - INFO - Running ldd /home/intel/projects/poky/poky/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/bin/qemu-system-i386...
| runqemu - INFO - Running /home/intel/projects/poky/poky/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/bin/qemu-system-i386   -serial tcp:127.0.0.1:54593  -cpu qemu32 -m 256 -serial tcp:127.0.0.1:48587 -drive file=/home/intel/projects/poky/poky/build/tmp/deploy/images/qemux86/core-image-minimal-qemux86.ext4,if=virtio,format=raw -vga vmware -show-cursor -usb -usbdevice tablet -device virtio-rng-pci -snapshot -kernel /home/intel/projects/poky/poky/build/tmp/deploy/images/qemux86/bzImage -append 'root=/dev/vda rw highres=off  console=tty1 console=ttyS0,115200n8 printk.time=1 mem=256M vga=0 uvesafb.mode_option=640x480-32 oprofile.timer=1 uvesafb.task_timeout=-1'
| 
| NOTE: Couldn't get ip from qemu process arguments! Here is the qemu command line used:
| /home/intel/projects/poky/poky/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/bin/qemu-system-i386-serialtcp:127.0.0.1:54593-cpuqemu32-m256-serialtcp:127.0.0.1:48587-drivefile=/home/intel/projects/poky/poky/build/tmp/deploy/images/qemux86/core-image-minimal-qemux86.ext4,if=virtio,format=raw-vgavmware-show-cursor-usb-usbdevicetablet-devicevirtio-rng-pci-snapshot-kernel/home/intel/projects/poky/poky/build/tmp/deploy/images/qemux86/bzImage-appendroot=/dev/vda rw highres=off  console=tty1 console=ttyS0,115200n8 printk.time=1 mem=256M vga=0 uvesafb.mode_option=640x480-32 oprofile.timer=1 uvesafb.task_timeout=-1
| and output from runqemu:
| runqemu - INFO - MACHINE: qemux86
| runqemu - INFO - DEPLOY_DIR_IMAGE: /home/intel/projects/poky/poky/build/tmp/deploy/images/qemux86
| runqemu - INFO - CONFFILE: /home/intel/projects/poky/poky/build/tmp/deploy/images/qemux86/core-image-minimal-qemux86.qemuboot.conf
| runqemu - INFO - Continuing with the following parameters:
| 
| stty: 'standard input': Inappropriate ioctl for device
| runqemu - INFO - Running /usr/sbin/ip link...
| runqemu - INFO - Setting up tap interface under sudo
| sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified
| runqemu - INFO - Acquiring lockfile /tmp/qemu-tap-locks/.lock...
| runqemu - INFO - Created tap:
| runqemu - ERROR - Failed to setup tap device. Run runqemu-gen-tapdevs to manually create.
| runqemu - INFO - Running ldd /home/intel/projects/poky/poky/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/bin/qemu-system-i386...
| runqemu - INFO - Running /home/intel/projects/poky/poky/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/bin/qemu-system-i386   -serial tcp:127.0.0.1:54593  -cpu qemu32 -m 256 -serial tcp:127.0.0.1:48587 -drive file=/home/intel/projects/poky/poky/build/tmp/deploy/images/qemux86/core-image-minimal-qemux86.ext4,if=virtio,format=raw -vga vmware -show-cursor -usb -usbdevice tablet -device virtio-rng-pci -snapshot -kernel /home/intel/projects/poky/poky/build/tmp/deploy/images/qemux86/bzImage -append 'root=/dev/vda rw highres=off  console=tty1 console=ttyS0,115200n8 printk.time=1 mem=256M vga=0 uvesafb.mode_option=640x480-32 oprofile.timer=1 uvesafb.task_timeout=-1'
| 
| Qemu ended unexpectedly, dump data from host is in /tmp/oe-saved-tests/201612070814_qemu
| WARNING: Qemu ended unexpectedly, dump data from host is in /tmp/oe-saved-tests/201612070814_qemu
| Sending SIGTERM to runqemu
| NOTE: Sending SIGTERM to runqemu
| DEBUG: Python function do_testimage_auto finished
| ERROR: Function failed: core-image-minimal - FAILED to start qemu - check the task log and the boot log
ERROR: Task (/home/intel/projects/poky/poky/meta/recipes-core/images/core-image-minimal.bb:do_testimage_auto) failed with exit code '1'
NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 2057 tasks of which 211 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.

Summary: 1 task failed:
  /home/intel/projects/poky/poky/meta/recipes-core/images/core-image-minimal.bb:do_testimage_auto
Summary: There were 4 WARNING messages shown.
Summary: There was 1 ERROR message shown, returning a non-zero exit code.
Well, every knowledge has its own pitfalls! I'll fix the damn thing and I'll make it work on the QEMUx86 simulator!

_nobody_
Old 8th December 2016, 05:55 AM
nobody Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Thumbs down Re: ARM Raspberry Pi 3+ support with Fedora 25

Misery loves company...

I was able to successfully built core_image_minimal, thus proving that, mostly (?!), Fedora 25 complies to YOCTO requirements. Maybe???

Quote:
[user@localhost build]$ bitbake core-image-minimal
Loading cache: 100% |################################################# ######################| Time: 0:00:00
Loaded 1315 entries from dependency cache.

Build Configuration:
BB_VERSION = "1.32.0"
BUILD_SYS = "x86_64-linux"
NATIVELSBSTRING = "universal"
TARGET_SYS = "i586-poky-linux"
MACHINE = "qemux86"
DISTRO = "poky"
DISTRO_VERSION = "2.2"
TUNE_FEATURES = "m32 i586"
TARGET_FPU = ""
meta
meta-poky
meta-yocto-bsp = "morty:73454473d7c286c41ee697f74052fed03c79f9f 5"

Initialising tasks: 100% |################################################# #################| Time: 0:00:05
NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 1904 tasks of which 1904 didn't need to be rerun and all succeeded.

[user@localhost build]$
But this almost does not mean to me anything... I am NOT able to run QEMUx86 emulator, running the complete target system on it! It keeps failing, badly failing, since I am not able "somewhere" to create tap device. And this is NO GO, since I MUST have method to know if basic functionality (kernel and basic CLI, without real drivers and GFX) does work.

I learned something very positive. I always thought that I am NOT able to have KDE and GNOME on the same system... Fortunately, I am WRONG (installed KDE to see if this probably solves the problem)! Now I have, upon entering DT environment, 4 choices: 3 from GNOME and fourth KDE Plasma!

Imperativ for me is to make QEMUx86 running! So, looking forward to solve this one... And make QEMUx86 operational, since then I can run my basic/GENERIC core-image-sato (GFX included, sans REAL kernel drivers) for ANY ARM there (for versions A9, R4, M53, U name it)!

_nobody_
Old 8th December 2016, 04:26 PM
nobody Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Thumbs up Re: ARM Raspberry Pi 3+ support with Fedora 25

Here we go! QEMUx86 fully operational!

On GNOME with native Xorg (X11) server (later this day I'll try Wayland Xserver). Not to be lazy, I'll also try KDE Plasma. Just to know.

Complete Fedora 25 VM on my tiny gentle notebook, as development machine, under which I play with YOCTO. I put all necessary tests (to verify build of entire 30GB) in place!

Quote:
[user@localhost build]$ bitbake core-image-minimal -c testimage
Loading cache: 100% |################################################# ###########################| Time: 0:00:00
Loaded 1315 entries from dependency cache.

Build Configuration:
BB_VERSION = "1.32.0"
BUILD_SYS = "x86_64-linux"
NATIVELSBSTRING = "universal"
TARGET_SYS = "i586-poky-linux"
MACHINE = "qemux86"
DISTRO = "poky"
DISTRO_VERSION = "2.2"
TUNE_FEATURES = "m32 i586"
TARGET_FPU = ""
meta
meta-poky
meta-yocto-bsp = "morty:73454473d7c286c41ee697f74052fed03c79f9f 5"

Initialising tasks: 100% |################################################# ######################| Time: 0:00:03
core-image-minimal-1.0-r0 do_testimage: test_ping (oeqa.runtime.ping.PingTest) ... ok
core-image-minimal-1.0-r0 do_testimage:
core-image-minimal-1.0-r0 do_testimage: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
core-image-minimal-1.0-r0 do_testimage: Ran 1 test in 0.077s
core-image-minimal-1.0-r0 do_testimage:
core-image-minimal-1.0-r0 do_testimage: OK
core-image-minimal-1.0-r0 do_testimage: core-image-minimal - Ran 1 test in 0.081s
core-image-minimal-1.0-r0 do_testimage: core-image-minimal - OK - All required tests passed

NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 365 tasks of which 364 didn't need to be rerun and all succeeded.

[user@localhost build]$
I am in complete control over YOCTO (for now still genesis), in other words to make for TI, NXP, Qualcomm SoCs ARM A9/A15, or I.MX6, or I.MX7 controllers... Full YOCTO distro in (virtually) NO time!

_nobody_
Attached Images
File Type: jpg poky-2.2.jpg (147.2 KB, 374 views)
Old 15th July 2017, 09:04 AM
nobody Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Wink Re: ARM Raspberry Pi 3+ support with Fedora 25

Whatever... I need to figure it out how to activate X11 (Xorg) server for the starters on YOCTO. Since I am true embedded system person, and YOCTO (more and less) will be my target distro.

But Fedora really does give me the insight to these YOCTO stuff. So. I'll continue to see also if I am able to port FC26 on ARM (I am mainly targeting Freescale i.MX6 dual and quad cores), in order to have FC26 as major testing vehicle for i.MX6 HW platforms.

More to follow, when I'll have real HW in my hands/paws.

_nobody_
Old 16th July 2017, 08:33 PM
nobody Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Here very important question for Fedora Administrators (Bob, Bassinator, Anti Kerbera, Adam[e]Wa and others)... To investigate!

Here is what I read considering Fedora 26 (FC26):
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Archi...rd=Raspberry_P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supported Hardware
We currently only support the Raspberry Pi Model B versions 2 and 3.

Prerequisites
A Raspberry Pi 2 or 3
Good quality SD Card (eLinux hosts a compatibility list)
HDMI Monitor or TV, a USB keyboard and mouse
A decent power supply. You'll want at least 2A for the RPi2 and 2.5A for the RPi3 details here
For preparation of the SD card:

Computer running Windows/MacOS/Linux
SD card reader
Downloading the Fedora ARM image
Official support for the Raspberry Pi 2/3 is available in Fedora 26! Please read the FAQ for the current status of various features.

Fedora 26 images can be downloaded here:

Fedora Workstation 26 (checksum)
Fedora Server 26 (checksum)

Fedora 26 Minimal (checksum)
Fedora 26 Spins (checksums)
Here, I do not understand, how FC26 supports ONLY Rasberry PI 2 and 3 (very tiny platform, price 40 EUR, CPU 1.2 GHz 64/32-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A53, with ONLY 1GB LPDRAM2), but it also () supports ARM servers ???

How these two (ARM Cortex-A53 with 1GB LPDRAM2 and ARM server architecture) could be engaged, in what ways???

_nobody_
Old 17th July 2017, 10:20 PM
DokterW Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
Here is what I read considering Fedora 26 (FC26):
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Archi...rd=Raspberry_P
Not much to investigate as that page is specific to RPi 2/3. Here is the ARM page with what hw is supported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
Here, I do not understand, how FC26 supports ONLY Rasberry PI 2 and 3 (very tiny platform, price 40 EUR, CPU 1.2 GHz 64/32-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A53, with ONLY 1GB LPDRAM2), but it also () supports ARM servers ???

How these two (ARM Cortex-A53 with 1GB LPDRAM2 and ARM server architecture) could be engaged, in what ways???
See my signature below? I run the server edition on a RPi 3. Why? Because I can.

The longer answer is, I use Resilio Sync for sync and backup to my servers. RPi 3 with Fedora Server is great as a small seed box and to explore the server edition a bit more.

Also, the RPi 3 is good enough as a SOHO server. A two-bay Synology DS216j has the same specs and it comes with a lot of features. Only difference is that the RPi 3 has double the RAM. If you want to set up a small server at home, the RPi 3 can handle it spec wise.
HP Proliant Microserver Gen8 — Fedora Server 26
Raspberry Pi 3 — Fedora Server 26

Tags
arm, fedora, raspberry, support