Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Security and Privacy
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Security and Privacy Sadly, malware, spyware, hackers and privacy threats abound in today's world. Let's be paranoid and secure our penguins, and slam the doors on privacy exploits.

Old 2nd April 2010, 05:56 AM
mcdonsky Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Question access to vds blockage

I use putty and plink through ssh to support some process on my vd server (fedora-7) at godaddy. When login with plink frequently (ones per 10 seconds for just few minutes a day), the server blocks my access everywhere (sftp, http, control panel) for about 10 minutes and resumes then.
Customer Support told me they do not have any blocker but I see that my ip is blocked for these 10 min. meanwhile I can access everything there from other address.

Please advice or refer me somewhere and you would save me from a suicide.
Old 7th April 2010, 12:07 AM
unSpawn

linuxopera
Re: access to vds blockage

Do you run any blockers like fail2ban or denyhosts? Or iptables modules like say "recent"? If you log in from the other IP address and then check the systems logs in /var/log, does there exist any messages about IP addresses getting blocked? Do those messages show any clues? If unsure just post a few (exact) lines of output. Else review the software that's installed might show any clues.
Old 7th April 2010, 04:45 PM
mcdonsky Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

No, i should but i did not install any blocker since started using this vds. there are only default security stuff on the server. when i look at the logs i do see messages about some annoying ip from overseas but log does not show my ip blocked anywhere even when it was blocked from server for 15 to 20 minutes.
I also have checked that blockage was not initiated by client side or isp. Wondering if there could be facility firewall at godaddy. I did ask this question but did not expect it to be so hard to get answered. well, will be more insistent asking godaddy support.
Old 7th April 2010, 08:36 PM
unSpawn

linuxopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonsky View Post
When login with plink frequently (ones per 10 seconds for just few minutes a day), the server blocks my access everywhere
Maybe set up a temporary SSH tunnel for the duration of this burst traffic?
Old 7th April 2010, 11:36 PM
mcdonsky Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
Maybe set up a temporary SSH tunnel for the duration of this burst traffic?
That was my first idea but i did not find how to do it from my tcl program, i never dealt with tunneling. i used to be ic circuit designer in the past and never software. now need to automate online routine work for living actually.
Again, if there no easy fix in blocker or firewall i will look around for other solution, will spend more time learning how to do tunneling in my environment.
Old 8th April 2010, 09:29 AM
unSpawn

linuxopera

Maybe have a look at MyEnTunnel (http://nemesis2.qx.net/pages/MyEnTunnel) which works with PuTTY's 'plink'? It's like 'autossh' on GNU/Linux, restarting and keeping tunnels alive. IIGC setting up a tunnel with 'plink' requires the "-nc hostort" switch (http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/...er7.html#plink). As far as TCL goes I'm sure you can execute 'plink' from it, else if your tunnel needs to be available at steady intervals maybe use the scheduler services your platform supports.
Old 9th April 2010, 02:39 AM
mcdonsky Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

I have setup the tunnel with MyEnTunnel, it is on. now i cannot find any information on how to use it. with plink i was able to send bash commands and get prompt result back. what and how can i throw up into the tunnel and where to expect return? just an idea, please.
Old 9th April 2010, 04:48 PM
unSpawn

linuxopera

Basically MyEnTunnel just governs what 'plink' does, so if you set the local (address and) port to use that's what you'll use instead of the remote address and port.

Tags
access, blockage, vds