Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th March 2017, 09:52 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
General perception and understanding of Fedora

There was a news article today on Softpedia about GNOME 3.26 codename Manchester. Someone commented that the only desktop in sync. currently with GNOME release schedule is Ubuntu GNOME. They also raised the question is Fedora no longer relevant because it is now behind the GNOME release schedule?

I'd argue otherwise. There's nothing stopping people using F26 Alpha or F27 Rawhide. The fact Ubuntu GNOME is there first means nothing in the general scheme.

One age old question it did raise in my own mind is about the state of other applications.

For example, libreoffice is not kept 'fresh'. In a development operating system there is no logic for sticking with a particular release for 12 months. When a new build of LO comes out, it should be compiled and available for all currently supported Fedora releases. Instead, Fedora's libreoffice builds are static to 5.2.XX increments (becoming 'still') instead of being updated to 5.3.XX. By the time LO fresh is publicly available it's already been through full development testing of it's own and is very stable as a result.

There are other packages people come on here and ask about why the current version isn't available yet too.

It seems to me that Fedora release versions are currently a confusing mix of being frozen for certain packages like an LTS release and bleeding edge for others. What ever happened to Freedom, Friendship, Features, First?

Backporting of Fedora 25 kernels to Fedora 24? Why not Libreoffice or GIMP etc.? Why not the newest GNOME, MATE, KDE etc.? they don't have to be enforced by default but having them available for installation at user discretion would be a step in the right direction.

It would possibly require a different repository configuration to keep backports separate, koji and bodhi would need modifying and admittedly that's a lot of work to undertake. Once done though it shouldn't be that much different to maintain.

What are your thoughts about this topic? Would you want backports to F24 or F25? Should Fedora be a rolling release? I'd prefer a rolling release setup myself.
Old 30th March 2017, 10:38 PM
srakitnican Offline

linuxchrome
Re: General perception and understanding of Fedora

Well if you stay on rawhide always you can get that rolling effect.

I am a little confused about the meaning, Ubuntu is using Unity. In addition to that, Ubuntu always uses more stable options. To tell the truth I have no idea where this all comes from.

Libreoffice in particular is available as flatpak. Fedora is unstable enough as is, it doesn't need new even more unstable software in my humble opinion

Major version upgrades can bring additional bugs with it, I think there are users appreciating more stable approach. I strongly believe there is a good reason why RHEL is sticking with ancient versions and is solely backporting fixes

Kernels are rebased when older kernels are not being actively maintained anymore, e.g. receiving fixes and security upgrades. It would be too time consuming to backport pathes to those older kernels like they do in RHEL.
Old 30th March 2017, 10:52 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

There's an official Ubuntu GNOME flavour available these days just like they do for KDE and MATE. Unity doesn't enter into the equation for this one.

I get the idea of staying on rawhide but that's not what's promoted as Fedora publicly. Additionally, people rightly or wrongly see Fedora Workstation as the GNOME desktop development operating system. The fact another distribution seems more in sync is what that person was commenting about. so does this really make Fedora less relevant in that regard? possibly.

the promoted fedora releases aren't RHEL either but rather a development environment for future RHEL versions. So they should be offering the latest available packages, warts and all ergo buggy and unstable at times.
Old 30th March 2017, 11:01 PM
srakitnican Offline

linuxchrome

Hmm, Fedora is using newer Gnome?

https://distrowatch.com/table.php?di...on=ubuntugnome
https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=fedora

Although, I would like the idea of Ubuntu testing stuff for Fedora for a change
Old 30th March 2017, 11:14 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

ubuntu GNOME 17.04 is officially released next month and GNOME 3.24 (with the exception of a couple of applications) is already available for updating the pre-release 17.04 ISOs with from the ubuntu update servers
Old 6th April 2017, 12:04 PM
srakitnican Offline

linuxchrome

Following explains the reasons for this: https://insights.ubuntu.com/2017/04/...d-convergence/

Seems like Ubuntu is abandoning Unity 8 development in favor of Gnome and with that possibly all the underlying technologies like Mir.