Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th July 2012, 01:58 PM
jmbnyc Offline

linuxchrome
fedora 17 autofs not working

I upgraded from Fedora 16 to Fedora 17 and everything is fine except autofs does not seem to work with nfs drives. I copied over my autofs.master and autofs.mynas files and restarted autofs with systemctl but it does not seem to mount anything.

I disabled the firewall but still nothing.

[jmb@ivybridge ~]$ rpm -qa autofs
autofs-5.0.6-19.fc17.x86_64

this is the latest autofs which corrected a few bugs from the early days of Fedora 17.

anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong and/or how to debug/work around?
Old 11th July 2012, 05:59 PM
pjfg

linuxopera
Re: fedora 17 autofs not working

Interesting. It too upgraded from Fedora 16 to 17 recently and having seen your post thought I'd check my autofs nfs filesystems - not working

I shall investigate...
Old 11th July 2012, 06:30 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Possibly autofs is trying to mount the drives before the network comes up and is available?

This has been an ongoing issue using NFS or samba and NetworkManager. It seems that NetworkManager tells systemd that the network is up before it's actually ready, and systemd fires off other services that use the network too early.

You can try starting the NetworkManager-wait-online service and see if it fixes your issue.

Code:
su -
(root password)

systemctl enable NetworkManager-wait-online.service
Old 11th July 2012, 07:56 PM
jmbnyc Offline

linuxchrome

Not sure that this is the issue because I was have tried starting/stopping the autofs service post book with no luck. I tried to use fstab and all works well so mount.nfs is working. autofs is the problem and it appears broken in a really bad way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
Possibly autofs is trying to mount the drives before the network comes up and is available?

This has been an ongoing issue using NFS or samba and NetworkManager. It seems that NetworkManager tells systemd that the network is up before it's actually ready, and systemd fires off other services that use the network too early.

You can try starting the NetworkManager-wait-online service and see if it fixes your issue.

Code:
su -
(root password)

systemctl enable NetworkManager-wait-online.service
Old 11th July 2012, 07:59 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Well, if it's mounting them from your /etc/fstab and you autofs doesn't work even starting it manually after boot, then that probably isn't your problem.

I haven't used autofs in awhile, so I really don't have any other suggestions to try, though.
Old 12th July 2012, 12:01 AM
pjfg

linuxopera

OK, in my case autofs just hadn't been enabled through the upgrade. Easily fixed with:

systemctl enable autofs.service

systemctl start autofs.service
Old 12th July 2012, 01:37 AM
jmbnyc Offline

linuxchrome

UPDATE: there is something wrong but I have no idea what it is. After posting this message and coming back from a meeting, all of a sudden my nfs dirs appeared. not sure what happened in the few hours I was away but it was if some timeout expired and the mounts were able to be made as I accessed the file systems.

all is well now but I still there is a bug somewhere in the autofs service

Tags
autofs, fedora, working