Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th August 2012, 04:22 PM
aged_engr Offline

windows_7ie
Selective connection to network

After ATT worked on the lines one night last week (we are on a 1.5 meg DHL line), my new fc16 installation (2 months old) wold not connect to various IP addresses. First, CLAWS email wolud not connect to <my server>:110, and then I discovered that Firefox would only connect to the big web sites, Googl, Yahoo, and the like. Anything lesser and even the links within the large sites went unrecognized.

After poking around for a while, I updated the kernel and SELinus, and reinstalled NetworkManager. No change. Then I found that arp-ethers service was not running and enabled that by creating /etc/ethers using touch. Rebooted. Still no change.

Any suggestions on where I can look?
Old 8th August 2012, 07:33 PM
aged_engr Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Selective connection to network

An update: If I boot from an fc16 live disc, I still have the same problem. But from an fc17 live disc, it goes away and everything works fine. So I guess there is some interaction between the way fc16 is set up and whatever configuration ATT has on our DSL line. At any rate, I am going to go ahead and update to fc17.

Tags
connection, network, selective