Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st August 2013, 03:19 PM
krimano Offline

windows_7chrome
Unhappy Cannot boot into Fedora 19 after installing Windows 7

Hi,

I dual booted my laptop with Windows 8 and Fedora 19. Recently I uninstalled W8 and installed Windows 7 and now I am unable to boot into Fedora 19.

I read many posts about this on internet most of them say that my grub was overridden with windows 7 bootloader. I tried to reinstall grub in many ways but nothing worked.

My Windows is installed in C drive => dev/sda1
And F19 in a new drive => dev/sdb1

I tried to reinstall grub by trying a few commands (which I got from internet) in terminal.
These are the commands:
chroot /mnt/sysimage
grub2-install /dev/sdb1
yum install grub2-efi shim
None of these worked.

Hope someone can give me a solution for this problem.
I love my Fedora and I want it back. Please if anybody out there can understand what is wrong with my bootloaders please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
KM
Old 1st August 2013, 03:32 PM
VernDog Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Cannot boot into Fedora 19 after installing Windows 7

Do you have efi enabled? Does your BIOS boot point to sda or sdb?

What is mounted on "chroot /mnt/sysimage" I don't see any reference to it.
Old 1st August 2013, 04:59 PM
srs5694 Offline

linuxfirefox

There are too many unknowns to answer your question. Please run the Boot Info Script from a Linux live CD/DVD/flash drive (such as Parted Magic and post the RESULTS.txt file that it generates, either as a link or in code tags. That will give us the information we need to provide an answer.
Old 1st August 2013, 05:29 PM
sea Online
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxfedorafirefox

You'd need to chroot the partition of fedora root.
Inside, you should mount /boot partition if available.
Then install grub2.

To get an idea of your partitions, you might want to use lsblk

hth
Repo (sea-devel) :: Text User Interface (TUI), Video Handler Script (VHS), efi-helper, grub2-circled-nasa-themes, Essentials (blame, p, rmtf, rnd, siggen, screenshot...), (BETA) Dev-Scripts, (BETA) Fedora Account Scripts (FAS)
Old 1st August 2013, 05:31 PM
krimano Offline

linuxfirefox

This is the response for lsblk

NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 298.1G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 100M 0 part
├─sda2 8:2 0 48.7G 0 part
├─sda3 8:3 0 151.6G 0 part
├─sda4 8:4 0 1K 0 part
├─sda5 8:5 0 78.1G 0 part
├─sda6 8:6 0 500M 0 part
└─sda7 8:7 0 19G 0 part
├─fedora-root 253:2 0 15.3G 0 lvm
└─fedora-swap 253:3 0 3.8G 0 lvm [SWAP]
sdb 8:16 1 14.7G 0 disk
└─sdb1 8:17 1 14.7G 0 part /run/initramfs/live
sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom
loop0 7:0 0 12K 1 loop
loop1 7:1 0 2.2M 1 loop
└─live-osimg-min 253:1 0 8G 1 dm
loop2 7:2 0 887.4M 1 loop
loop3 7:3 0 8G 1 loop
├─live-rw 253:0 0 8G 0 dm /
└─live-osimg-min 253:1 0 8G 1 dm
loop4 7:4 0 512M 0 loop
└─live-rw 253:0 0 8G 0 dm /
Old 1st August 2013, 05:39 PM
krimano Offline

linuxfirefox

Dear srs5694,

This is the link to RESULT.txt

http://pastebin.com/nzk7L1mF

My fedora was installed in a 16GB drive. Please let me know if anymore information is necessary for answering my issue.

Thanks a lot,
KM

Last edited by krimano; 1st August 2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 1st August 2013, 06:55 PM
krimano Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernDog View Post
Do you have efi enabled? Does your BIOS boot point to sda or sdb?

What is mounted on "chroot /mnt/sysimage" I don't see any reference to it.
Can you please tell how can I make my BIOS boot point to sda ? Please check my above replies for information on my local drives.

Thanks,
KM
Old 1st August 2013, 07:26 PM
VernDog Offline

linuxchrome

You have syslinux as the boot for sdb. Not sure what pc you have. My HP, when it boots up, I hit Esc key then I can boot what ever is attached to my system. It shows all attached devices. Then I pick and choose which one to boot.

I guess you want sdb to be always attached to computer and boot from grub. Is that right?

First give us a little info on your computer.

Edit: After reviewing results.txt,you have Fedora on sda6.
Old 1st August 2013, 07:52 PM
krimano Offline

windows_8chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernDog View Post
You have syslinux as the boot for sdb. Not sure what pc you have. My HP, when it boots up, I hit Esc key then I can boot what ever is attached to my system. It shows all attached devices. Then I pick and choose which one to boot.

I guess you want sdb to be always attached to computer and boot from grub. Is that right?

First give us a little info on your computer.

Edit: After reviewing results.txt,you have Fedora on sda6.
When I first installed F19 along with windows 8, I used to get a menu whenever I switch on my laptop. I looking for one such menu now giving me options to login to F19 and Windows 7.

My Laptop is Lenovo G460. I can boot from any attached device by changing options in the boot menu by pressing F2 but the problem here is that I have both f19 and windows on my internal HD in different partitions.

Thanks,
KM

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
There are too many unknowns to answer your question. Please run the Boot Info Script from a Linux live CD/DVD/flash drive (such as Parted Magic and post the RESULTS.txt file that it generates, either as a link or in code tags. That will give us the information we need to provide an answer.
Hey srs,

I wish if you could help with this. You can find my results.txt file at http://pastebin.com/nzk7L1mF

Thanks,
KM
Old 2nd August 2013, 03:41 AM
srs5694 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimano View Post
I dual booted my laptop with Windows 8 and Fedora 19. Recently I uninstalled W8 and installed Windows 7 and now I am unable to boot into Fedora 19.
Basic diagnostics from Boot Info Script: Your system now uses BIOS-mode booting with the old-style Master Boot Record (MBR) partitioning system. This means that you'll need to install GRUB or some other BIOS boot loader on the computer.

Quote:
My Windows is installed in C drive => dev/sda1
And F19 in a new drive => dev/sdb1
Actually, that's not what you've got. Your Windows is installed on /dev/sda2 (although there are also some Windows files on /dev/sda1) and Linux is on /dev/sda6 and /dev/sda7. Your /dev/sdb1 seems to have some SYSLINUX boot loader files, but it's a FAT partition and so cannot hold a working Linux installation. It's not clear just what it holds, aside from SYSLINUX (which is most likely useless).

My own recommendation for recovery is to use the Super GRUB 2 Disk. With any luck, that will successfully launch GRUB, which will then launch Linux. You can then open a Terminal window and type "grub-install /dev/sda" as root to restore GRUB to the hard disk. There are other approaches that should work, but this is the method that I personally am most comfortable using.
Old 2nd August 2013, 06:04 AM
krimano Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Basic diagnostics from Boot Info Script: Your system now uses BIOS-mode booting with the old-style Master Boot Record (MBR) partitioning system. This means that you'll need to install GRUB or some other BIOS boot loader on the computer.

Actually, that's not what you've got. Your Windows is installed on /dev/sda2 (although there are also some Windows files on /dev/sda1) and Linux is on /dev/sda6 and /dev/sda7. Your /dev/sdb1 seems to have some SYSLINUX boot loader files, but it's a FAT partition and so cannot hold a working Linux installation. It's not clear just what it holds, aside from SYSLINUX (which is most likely useless).

My own recommendation for recovery is to use the Super GRUB 2 Disk. With any luck, that will successfully launch GRUB, which will then launch Linux. You can then open a Terminal window and type "grub-install /dev/sda" as root to restore GRUB to the hard disk. There are other approaches that should work, but this is the method that I personally am most comfortable using.

Sorry for the mistake. Can you please tell me if I install grub on /dev/sda will it give me options to boot into windows as well as fedora or just fedora alone ? If it is fedora alone how can I add windows to the menu ?
Old 2nd August 2013, 09:58 AM
krimano Offline

windows_7chrome

Quote:

Thanks a lot for all your help. Everything is working fine now after mounting my fedora on /mnt/sysimage and repeating the same process I mentioned in my question.

Thanks a ton,
KM

Tags
boot, fedora, grub, installing, windows