Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th December 2013, 05:29 PM
leonardevens Offline

linuxfirefox
Advice for upgrading my dual boot system

I curretlly have a system with two drives; the first /dev/sdba, contains Windows 7, and the second dev/sdb contains Fedora 17.

Originally, I had set things up so that I used EasyBCD and the Windows boot loader to dual boot, but something went wrong. I still can boot Windows that way, but when i choose to boot Fedora 17, I get put in a grub interface and I have to manually enter commands to boot. Fedora. I've tried numerous times to fix Easy BCD so that it works as it should but without success.)

I hope to use FedUp to upgrade to Fedora 19. I understand that I may have to do some work afterwards to deal with some packages, and I am willing to do that. It should still be less work than installing Fedora 19 from scratch. (that is what I've always done before.)

But I don't know what will happen to the boot loading. I would still like to boot using the Windows boot loader, but if I end up with the usual situation, booting from grub, with the initial stub being put in the MBR of dev/sda, I can live with that. (I had chosen the Easy BCD method to avoid messing with the MBR of the windows 7 disk to make it easier to upgrade Windows.)

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.
Old 8th December 2013, 10:48 PM
sonoran Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Advice for upgrading my dual boot system

You can just tell anaconda to install grub to the mbr of your 2nd drive, the same drive where it is installing Fedora 19.
That way it will not mess up your easybcd setup, working or not.

Your boot setup is similar to mine except I use grub legacy on sda, the drive that gets booted. I have Fedora 18 & 19 on
sdb, and anaconda installed the boot code to that mbr without complaint. That mbr (sdb) just never gets booted,
although the code is there as an emergency booter if anything ever goes wrong with sda.

I've never upgraded from one Fedora version to another, but even with FedUp it still sounds slower and more complex
than a fresh install. I will install Fedora 20 soon to the partition now containing F18 and I don't expect the netinstall
will take more than a half hour or so, with grub installed to the mbr of sdb.
Old 9th December 2013, 10:58 AM
Ahmad Samir Offline

linuxfirefox

I agree with sonoran; it's much easier to use grub2 to dual-boot. You can install grub2 on /dev/sdb - this way as sonoran said, it won't mess with your window installation on /dev/sda - as root:
Code:
grub2-install /dev/sdb
and change the boot order from the BIOS to use /dev/sdb first. When you boot Fedora, update grub.cfg, as root:
Code:
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
it should detect the window installation on /dev/sda and add an entry to the grub menu to allow you to boot it.

FWIW, I've using grub2 to dual-boot Linux and Windows for years, it usually works without any problems.

About upgrading, you can always try upgrading first, if it doesn't work you can do a clean install instead (when doing a clean install you should point the installer to install grub on /dev/sdb).
Old 9th December 2013, 12:02 PM
sonoran Offline

linuxfirefox

Excellent advice Ahmad Samir. leonardevens could then eliminate the semi-functioning easybcd setup by
reinstalling the windows bootloader to sda.

Tags
advice, boot, dual, upgrading