Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th April 2017, 08:53 AM
EdN Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Creating dual boot F25 & Windows 10 on a 512GB ssd

Here's my problem. I already have F25 on a 256GB ssd and Windows 10 on another 256GB ssd. I want to clone both of these to a new 512GB ssd and be able to boot to either F25 or Windows 10 on the 512GB ssd.
I thought I might do the following:
1. Create 2 equal-sized partitions on the new 512GB ssd. Can I do this with dd?
2. Use dd to clone the F25 ssd to the first partition on the 512GB ssd.
3. Use dd to clone the Windows 10 ssd to the second partition on the 512GB ssd.
What do you think?
Old 20th April 2017, 09:58 PM
Doug G Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Re: Creating dual boot F25 & Windows 10 on a 512GB ssd

I have a laptop with a 256gb ssd dual booting windows 10 and fedora 25. The laptop came with windows, and I put a fresh fedora install alongside following these basic steps:
1. From windows, use disk management to shrink the existing windows partition, freeing up about 1/2 the drive as unallocated.
2. Install fedora from a live usb using the "install to hard disk", and install f25 xfce to the unallocated space on the disk. Before starting the installer, set the network settings in network manager, and they will carry over to the installer.
3. That was pretty much it, fedora installed grub2 and provided an entry to boot fedora or windows. I had to learn how to use grub2-set-default to set the default boot system (I wanted a default windows boot).

I didn't have to do anything in the UEFI BIOS, which was set to secure boot for windows. Fedora was able to automatically set up EFI/secure boot for fedora. One tip, I had to be sure to boot the usb stick in UEFI mode, the first time I didn't and booted from MBR mode, and that's what the installer tried to set up. I aborted that installation and rebooted the USB in EFI mode and all went well.

Tags
dual boot, f25