Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st April 2017, 11:21 PM
Brendanw7 Offline

linuxchrome
Wifi connected but no internet

Hi all,

I have just installed fedora 25 and everything is great, except I cannot do anything that uses the internet, which is not great.

I can ping www.google.com just fine but if I try to visit it in firefox it says it cannot connect. I can also ping my router but cannot visit its administration page.

Everything on my network works fine except this fedora installation, so I know its not an issue with my router. Also Windows 7 & 10 were able to connect just fine on this same machine, so its not my hardware going out either.

Any suggestions? I about out of hair to pull out here.

Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 02:28 PM
rexrf Offline

linuxfedorachrome
Re: Wifi connected but no internet

When you're pinging google, are you pinging the hostname, or IP address? I would try running the following command to verify connectivity:

Code:
ip route get 8.8.8.8

(example output)

Code:
Target IP      Gateway    Device        Your IP
|                  |         |             |
8.8.8.8 via 10.84.10.5 dev tun0 src 10.84.10.6 uid 1000 
    cache

Verify your machine is taking the right route (gateway) through the correct device
Old 7th April 2017, 09:23 PM
wolfred Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Do you have the current date? If your date is set to 2001 or something like that ssl certs would be invalid and browsers will throw errors. For me going to www.google.com will forward me to https://www.google.com
, did you try non ssl/tls sites?

did you ping www.google.com or their dns servers? ping 8.8.8.8

if you pinged their dns server and got a response you can edit /etc/resolv.conf with a text editor and put in the address of a dns server.
Old 7th April 2017, 10:54 PM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome

Network troubleshooting.
Can you ping your gateway?
Can you ping the Internet? (ping -c 2 8.8.8.8)
Can you ping by name (ping -c 2 www.google.com)
Does telnet indicate that you aren't blocking www ports
telnet www.google.com 80

You should see something lke

Code:
Connected to www.google.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
^]
(then if you hit ctl and ] you'll have a prompt like > and can type quit.

If one of these fails, tell us which ones. Do you have a wired connection? Does that work?

It might be a NetworkManager issue. (I hear NM is better these days, but it used to cause lots of problems). You can try
http://srobb.net/wireless.html to see if NetworkManager is the problem.

It might be SELinux or a firewall. Those seem to be low probabalilty to me, but you can always briefly check selinux with

setenforce 0. If it all works now, then you have an SELinux problem somewhere, but probably it will just continue to not work and you can put it back with setenforce 1

You can briefly test if it's your firewall with systemctl stop firewalld.service (I think that's the name) and seeing if that works.

Again, I have my doubts that is the issue, so if things are still broken, you can start it again with systemctl start firewalld.service.

Tags
connected, internet, wifi