Smile Finally!

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...nl_dnx_h_crawl

Can't wait to see the results!

- Jesus
Old 29th January 2011, 12:13 AM
stoat Offline

linuxdebianiceweasel
Re: Finally!

Another "appealing to the mainstream" thing. Well, okay I guess. But I don't have any problems finding and installing software now. And I never have cared about what the huddled masses are doing with their computers. I guess I'm just an old stick in the mud about this "appealing to the mainstream" stuff. I think I also sort of worry about unintended consequences or unexpected side-effects of the masses discovering our little toys. What makes so many of us think that will be a good thing? Personally I would rather they keep using Windows. Here's a daymare for you. Linux finally gets so good that it "appeals to the mainstream" like so many of us have been yacking about. Giant corporations notice, scoop it up, acquire rights, hire all of the developers, whatever (this is a daymare). In my imagination and with enough money, anything is possible. Anyway, now it's for sale at Staples and Wal-Mart, but you can download Windows free. I wake up about here.
Old 29th January 2011, 01:52 AM
jakebpg Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoat View Post
Another "appealing to the mainstream" thing. Well, okay I guess. But I don't have any problems finding and installing software now. And I never have cared about what the huddled masses are doing with their computers. I guess I'm just an old stick in the mud about this "appealing to the mainstream" stuff. I think I also sort of worry about unintended consequences or unexpected side-effects of the masses discovering our little toys. What makes so many of us think that will be a good thing? Personally I would rather they keep using Windows. Here's a daymare for you. Linux finally gets so good that it "appeals to the mainstream" like so many of us have been yacking about. Giant corporations notice, scoop it up, acquire rights, hire all of the developers, whatever (this is a daymare). In my imagination and with enough money, anything is possible. Anyway, now it's for sale at Staples and Wal-Mart, but you can download Windows free. I wake up about here.
stoat, don't fret, as you will be long dead before Linux becomes mainstream and MS is free for the downloading!
Old 29th January 2011, 02:55 AM
pete_1967

linuxfedorafirefox

As long as the ecosystem is 99% free software there is no fear of Linux turning to mainstream. No shop wants to sell Linux machines because there is no aftermarket for them, and it's the additional software sales that makes the stores money. They may be able to convince some poor bugger to buy an anti-virus license - once, but that's about it. Even if all the games were ported to Linux it would struggle because they still aren't main article in high-street computer stores.
Old 29th January 2011, 06:26 PM
soundfreely Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I'd hope to see the sale of support for free software but not too much proprietary software. If proprietary commercial software were made easily available, it could hurt the continued development of the free counterparts.

I like the idea of an "app store" but it'd need to be done in the appropriate "free" Linux way. I think adding a "how to contribute" tab or button to every application would be a good start. Make it easy to either donate time/work or money to an existing project.
Old 29th January 2011, 07:35 PM
Babylon5Nut Offline

Location: 127.0.0.1 (There's no place quite like it, you know...)
windows_vistafirefox

Hmm...

See, I really have to disagree on the whole proprietary software vs. F/OSS argument here.

TBH, I also disagree with that portion of the F/OSS (and Linux in general) community which buys into the whole "by geeks, for geeks" design of software and the "I write what I write to scratch my itch" mentality. It's not that I think people ought not to scratch their own itch, but you have this sort of collective problem wherein much of the software thereby created is really not very professional to look at, much less to use (often in terms of the completeness of its feature set).

Of course, frequently the strongest proponents of the above identify themselves pretty readily when they say something like "Gimp is just as powerful and good as Photoshop". It's this sort of mentality that is going to keep Linux from greater commercial adoption. They need to realize they speak for themselves, and not necessarily for everybody else.

If anything, the Linux community should take its cue from Steve Jobs' approach, and recognize the viability of a commercial-software-on-Linux "iPod halo" effect. And clearly, at least up to a point, the reverse (that is, F/OSS in commercial OS ecosystems interesting people in F/OSS OS alternatives) has had that effect.

Some of my absolute favorite and preferred apps, such as Firefox and VLC, are open-source. Apps like that are amazing and often trail-blazing, but not so much because "they're F/OSS" but because there's an otherwise-commercial driver behind them. I think oftentimes people forget that the true driver of an ecosystem is the collective practical commercial need for capabilities and functionality. This is what brings focus and of necessity involves the required resources to bring a specific app into existence and then to push forward the further development of that app.

Make no mistake, the professional world is virtually crying out for replacement apps for those which are proprietary and have lots of unavoidable lock-in. Apps like QuarkXPress and InDesign, which are industry standard apps in the desktop publishing space, apps like PeachTree, Great Plains, and TurboTax in the financial and accounting space, and so on, all have users which would without doubt benefit from having source files which are portable. However, Scribus produces DTP files which are eminently portable, but nobody would ever mistake that app for being a professional level drop-in replacement for InDesign or QuarkXPress, so in the end people need InDesign or Quark (or whatever apps you want to mention) and the F/OSS equivalents of those apps -- where they exist -- simply aren't an option.

All operating systems have required some degree of either specialization or killer app(s) to put them on the map and keep them there, and Linux has many of those. The problem is that, vis-à-vis the "commercial desktop" world, Mac OS X and Windows are far better represented in that respect, so unless that changes somehow, we're not going to see Linux "take over the world".