Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Wibble
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Wibble A place to have a sensible chat, about anything non linux related. Please remember that political and religious topics are not permitted.

Old 19th October 2009, 05:50 AM
tashirosgt Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Which brands of hard drives make firmware updates easy?

Which hard drive manufacturers make doing firmware updates for their drives easy? Most of my current drives are from Hitachi (which bought IBM's drive business). That company's tech support wants you to run a drive inspection program (like Drive Fitness Test) and send the information about what firmware version is on the drive along with the model and serial number. They imply that if you need a firmware update then they will tell you and get it to you somehow. I've found no place on their website where a collection of firmware updates is available to the public.

Do the other manufacturer's work this way?
Old 19th October 2009, 06:10 AM
steelaworkn Offline

windows_98_nt_2000ie
I didn't know hard drives needed firmware updates. Heck, I didn't even know they had firmware.

Intel DP35DP MB; Nvidia 440 2 gig Video Card; 8 gigs of ram; Intel Core 2 Quad 2.83 gig; Hp Officejet Pro L7580; LVM F23 64bit using 2 320g HDs and dual monitors.
Old 19th October 2009, 01:56 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

windows_vistafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelaworkn View Post
I didn't know hard drives needed firmware updates. Heck, I didn't even know they had firmware.
I'm with him. ^
Old 19th October 2009, 02:03 PM
Jake Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Well, in general you really should not be updating the firmware on a harddrive unless absolutely nessasary. A wrong firmware, could kill the drive in one hit, probably why there are no public firmwares, it's for "safety", I've yet to need to update the firmware on a harddrive, why would you need to? Firmware should really only be flashed onto a drive if, the drive has some functionality loss due to the previous firmware, other than that, their is no need.

Brand new HDD's generally come with the latest firmware anyhow.
Registered Linux ID: #456478
Primary OS: CentOS 7 x86_64
Secondary OS: Fedora 22 x86_64
Old 19th October 2009, 02:05 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

windows_vistafirefox
The real question is when is my case firmware going to be updated.
Old 19th October 2009, 04:46 PM
Dies Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by JN4OldSchool View Post
The real question is when is my case firmware going to be updated.
No, the real question is where are the results from your "Case Fitness Test"? including current firmware, model and serial number...

To answer the original question though. None that I know of.
Old 19th October 2009, 05:33 PM
tashirosgt Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Motherboard firmware updates (i.e. BIOS flashes) are available on company websites. I think hard drives are more expendable than motherboards if you have made a copy of the data on them. So I don't see that updating firmware on a hard drive is a big deal.

It may be that other brands of drives haven't had the problems that the early IBM drives had, so there wasn't a demand for firmware updates. As an illustration of the fact that there are firmware updates for hard drives see the firmware update link in the Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitachi_Deskstar
Old 19th October 2009, 05:50 PM
Jake Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
We all know HDD's have firmware Every device does.. if it didn't, it would not know what to do (Well, not as much as devices now days do), while you can flash firmware (Like I put a custom one on my DVD-RW, to make it region free) it's very risky, and to be honest, it's safer to just leave alone if it's not broken.

If your having problems, fair enough that's a good reason to flash, if not, then no real reason tbh.

I'm sure if you started getting problems, you could contact manufacture and they would provide new firmware (If they had one) :-)

BIOS, generally get updated to support new hardware (Like a new CPU that just came out for example), so their needed. (After-all, wouldn't you be angry if you got a new CPU and it didn't work due to BIOS?) HDD's generally don't need that sort of thing.

So really, that's the reason for lack of HDD firmwares avaliable on company sites.
Registered Linux ID: #456478
Primary OS: CentOS 7 x86_64
Secondary OS: Fedora 22 x86_64
Old 19th October 2009, 05:57 PM
coffee412 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelaworkn View Post
It depends on the type and application of the hard drive. There are alot of drives that you can update firmware on and there are times when its needed. Most all these drives where you would be concerned about firmware fall into the enterprise scsi drives. Drives in the retail market normally do not get flashed with new firmware.

There are situations where some controllers will have issues with some drives and thus the firmware would need to be updated. However, Those are special cases and I have usually had that experience with systems like AS/400 series servers, Dell servers, HP3000 and 9000 servers and of course Sun servers.

For pretty much any other application you will never need to update the drives firmware unless the manufactuer deems it necessary. In that case they will provide the firmware or have you send the drive in for replacement.

Galaxy Blaze 4G ICS ClockworkMOD :)