Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th April 2017, 08:19 AM
Bithawk Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Question Unable to run shell command to modify iptables for DHCP

I am attempting to modify the iptables for a local host to open ports 67 & 68 for udp traffic on a local DHCP server. This is the command line I am using:

# iptables -I INPUT -i eth0 -p udp --sport 67:68 --dport 67:68 -j ACCEPT

The error I am getting is: no chain/target/match by this name. Can anyone explain my problem or what I need to do from the root user shell to make this happen? Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 16th April 2017, 12:57 PM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome
Re: Unable to run shell command to modify iptables for DHCP

Assuming you're definitely using iptables and not firewalld (which is the default), then I'd look at other iptables rules in /etc/sysconfig/iptables and try to copy them. Doing a cursory google on the error shows various reasons for such a problem, but one may be that iptables isn't currently running.
Old 23rd April 2017, 03:27 AM
Bithawk Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Smile Re: Unable to run shell command to modify iptables for DHCP

Hi Smr54, sorry for the delayed answer. You were partly right, the solution to my problem was I needed to stop the firewalld daemon, then modify iptables with the above command. I also changed SELinux to permissive but that wasn't my problem(set enforce 0). Thanks for you help and consider this post resolved.
Old 23rd April 2017, 12:34 PM
smr54 Online

linuxfirefox
Re: Unable to run shell command to modify iptables for DHCP

Glad it helped. As the original poster on the thread, you can click the thread tools link and mark it solved if you wish.

Tags
command, dhcp, iptables, modify, shell, unable