Re: Does the search tool need to be configured

Quote:
Originally Posted by xav795 View Post
for test user :
[root@AWE test]# ls -laRn | wc -l

for dzialoszynski user :
[root@AWE test]# cd /home/dzialoszynski/
[root@AWE dzialoszynski]# ls -laRn | wc -l

In the system-config-users, i have only one line on the user tab, which has the following properties :
username =dzialoszynski
userid = 1000
primary group = dzialoszynski
full name = DZIALOSZYNSKI
shell connexion = /bin/bash
personal directory = /home/dzialoszynski

on the group tab i have two lines :
group name idgroup members
dzialoszynski 1000 dzialoszynski
vboxusers 1001

i have tried again the instruction you gave me before, my name was correctly wrotten, but i have the same result as before
find /home/dzialoszynski -user 500 -print0 | xargs -0 chown -h 1000
operand missing after 1000
xav795
OK. You can remove the 'test' user and all of its files if you wish.
Next as user 'root' try the following to accomplish the change to UIDs, if any are 500 they should be changed.
Others that are 1000 already will be unaffected.

Quote:
find /home -uid 500 -exec chown 1000 {} \;
If this works then pick up in the original commands, if possible. Try to run, as root, <updatedb> to ensure that the files are findable.
Check back after giving these things a try.
MoBo Gigabyte MA785GM-UD2H-AM3 MicroATX
Memory 8 Gigs OCZ DDR3-1333 PC-10666
Old 1st July 2012, 12:40 AM
xav795 Offline

linuxfirefox

hi robertderweil
i have executed the commands you gave me before :

updatedb
for fs in /home/dzialoszynski ; do find $fs -xdev -group 500 -exec chgrp -h 1000 {} \;; done
updatedb

this time i dont have error

But if i try to launch a pdf file for example from my user session in a terminal, file that belong to my user directory, i still get a permission denied error message

Regards
Xavier

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

I will be back in some hours, i take a rest
Regards
Old 1st July 2012, 12:43 AM
robertdaleweir Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
hi robertderweil
i have executed the commands you gave me before :

updatedb
for fs in /home/dzialoszynski ; do find $fs -xdev -group 500 -exec chgrp -h 1000 {} \;; done
updatedb

this time i dont have error

But if i try to launch a pdf file for example from my user session in a terminal, file that belong to my user directory, i still get a permission denied error message

Regards
Xavier
OK. When you say you try to 'launch a pdf' from a terminal session, do you type evince and file name (evince abc.pdf) or try to open it in some other way?
If you open it from nautilus (file browser) does it open by 'double clicking' on it or does it crash Nautilus, or complain.
I am not sure I understand how it is that you are trying to open a pdf file from a user session in a terminal. Could you explain exactly how you try to open a pdf file from a terminal. Thanks...
Old 1st July 2012, 10:47 AM
xav795 Offline

linuxfirefox

Hi robertdaleweir,

From a terminal under my user, when i tried to open my pdf file i did it typing directly the path to the file
\home\myuser\myfile.pdf
in this case, i had the permission denied message

If i launch evince like this :
evince \home\myuser\myfile.pdf
there is no problem

With nautilus there is no crash regardless i click directly on the file or i choose by right click that i want to open it with evince

So maybe it is normal that i get this error message, i dont know; however the gnome search tool (the one that appears when you strike the super key), doesnt give me any recent opened file, as it works on F15 before.

One more problem, but maybe i should open another thread for it is that with gnash plugin on mozilla, i get some error message from SELinux :
SELinux is preventing /usr/bin/gtk-gnash from execute access on the file /home/dzialoszynski/.orc/orcexec.9bbn8G (deleted).
Is this related to my previous installation on F15, on which i had mozilla before?
Is there an issue related to the SEcontext of my old files coming from F15?
For example, is it possible to see somewhere (in a log file), what's happening when the process responsible to look at my recent file is working.

Regards
Xavier
Old 1st July 2012, 01:32 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

just use the simple command chown.

as root run:

Code:
cd /home
chown -R --from=501:502 1000:1000 *
(above, your old user was user 501, but the group was 502.)

If all of your old files have the same user numbering, then it should change them all to the new (1000:1000) user numbering and you should then be able to access them as normal.

as far as selinux context, it is possible you are having issues due to different labelling from F15 to F17. I would recommend you to run a complete relabel on your system once you get the user numbering corrected.

You can run a complete relabel

as root:
Code:
touch /.autorelabel
reboot
It will take awhile to run the relabel, so do this when you can just leave it while it relabels and boots up.

Last edited by DBelton; 1st July 2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 1st July 2012, 06:40 PM
robertdaleweir Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Hi robertdaleweir,

From a terminal under my user, when i tried to open my pdf file i did it typing directly the path to the file
\home\myuser\myfile.pdf

If i launch evince like this :
evince \home\myuser\myfile.pdf
there is no problem

With nautilus there is no crash regardless i click directly on the file or i choose by right click that i want to open it with evince

So maybe it is normal that i get this error message, i dont know; however the gnome search tool (the one that appears when you strike the super key), doesnt give me any recent opened file, as it works on F15 before.

One more problem, but maybe i should open another thread for it is that with gnash plugin on mozilla, i get some error message from SELinux :
SELinux is preventing /usr/bin/gtk-gnash from execute access on the file /home/dzialoszynski/.orc/orcexec.9bbn8G (deleted).
Is this related to my previous installation on F15, on which i had mozilla before?
]Is there an issue related to the SEcontext of my old files coming from F15?
For example, is it possible to see somewhere (in a log file), what's happening when the process responsible to look at my recent file is working.

Regards
Xavier
Hi xav795
Quote:
\home\myuser\myfile.pdf
In a Bash Shell, which is what a terminal is when opened under Fedora, one must invoke a recognizable 'command' for it to respond in a meaningful way. Just typing the 'file name' will cause an error every time, and 'permission denied' is part of the error message.
The 'updatedb' is a database for the 'locate' command. One can use 'locate abc.pdf' from any directory and all instances of the file will be listed.
If one uses 'evince abc.pdf &' one will not tie up the terminal, as it will open in a separate window.
Quote:
This is probably a setting, which I unfortunately cannot help you with.
Quote:
I never had much luck with 'gnash', I use autoplus and install 'flash-plugin'. I always disable 'selinux' for my own use as I use a 'router' for my security to the 'world' and essentially have full unhindered access to all my machines within my house.
Quote:
]Is there an issue related to the SEcontext of my old files coming from F15?
I will gracefully beg off answering this one as it is above my pay scale. Cheers...

Last edited by robertdaleweir; 1st July 2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 1st July 2012, 08:10 PM
xav795 Offline

linuxfirefox

Hi,

@robertdaleweir
I have finally installed the flash player instead of gnash, and that works good now.
For the moment i have set SE to permissive mode.

I think i have understood my problem with the gnome 3.4 search tool, that uses to look to recent files.
In fact, it seems that this functionnality has been removed from the latest version of gnome, as this article show :
http://askubuntu.com/questions/12824...shell-in-12-04
There are workaround like installing gnome extensions
If a am right, you should not find any recent file with the basic search tool in F17 in fact. This is not a problem of rights on my files.

@DBelton,
I tried the commands you were suggesting, but as i mentionned above, i think this functionnality does not work as i expected it to work.

Regards
Xavier
Old 1st July 2012, 08:32 PM
robertdaleweir Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Hi,

@robertdaleweir
I have finally installed the flash player instead of gnash, and that works good now.
For the moment i have set SE to permissive mode.

I think i have understood my problem with the gnome 3.4 search tool, that uses to look to recent files.
In fact, it seems that this functionnality has been removed from the latest version of gnome, as this article show :
http://askubuntu.com/questions/12824...shell-in-12-04
There are workaround like installing gnome extensions
If a am right, you should not find any recent file with the basic search tool in F17 in fact. This is not a problem of rights on my files.

@DBelton,
I tried the commands you were suggesting, but as i mentionned above, i think this functionnality does not work as i expected it to work.

Regards
Xavier
Hi xav795
OK. So are you good to go on this one. If you are satisfied with this thread please mark it as SOLVED by
going to Thread Tools at the top when you open this thread and selecting 'Mark this thread as SOLVED'. If you have further ?s just continue the thread. Have a great day.

Tags
configured, search, tool