Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th October 2012, 04:21 PM
megaloman Offline

linuxfirefox
HDMI Audio not working with NVIDIA card on Fedora 17

Hello,

I've bought a tv a few days ago, tried to connect my laptop via hdmi cable to it - worked perfectly, I just had to choose right audio device output as hdmi and it worked with no issues.

So I've tried to connect my desktop computer to the tv using hdmi cable - video works with no issues, but there's no sound. There's no hdmi device too:
Code:
 aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
I am using Fedora 17, tried nouveau driver and NVidia proprietary drivers.

My graphics card is:
Code:
lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G92 [GeForce 9800 GT] (rev a2)
I've been trying to look for a solution on the net, but could not find anything helpful. I would have thought, that simple thing as audio over hdmi would work without any issues

Many thanks for any help!
Old 12th October 2012, 04:58 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: HDMI Audio not working with NVIDIA card on Fedora 17

That is because on the GeForce 9800 cards, the HDMI audio isn't a true audio device. It's just a pass thru device, and requires a cable from your audio card S/PDIF output to the S/PDIF input on the video card. The cable usually comes with the video card.

To kinda jog your memory and see if you remember getting one, it probably looks something like this picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spdif-passthrough.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	23884  
Old 14th October 2012, 08:10 PM
megaloman Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: HDMI Audio not working with NVIDIA card on Fedora 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
That is because on the GeForce 9800 cards, the HDMI audio isn't a true audio device. It's just a pass thru device, and requires a cable from your audio card S/PDIF output to the S/PDIF input on the video card. The cable usually comes with the video card.
Thanks! Yes, that makes sense. I remember this cable was in the box, but I threw it away... already ordered one on ebay, so it should solve my audio issue Many thanks!

Tags
audio, card, fedora, hdmi, nvidia, working