Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd December 2012, 06:14 AM
DrTodd13 Offline

windows_7firefox
Device connected to HDMI port not detected.

Hi. I've banged my head against this one for a few days and I'm about to give up. Any help greatly appreciated.

Fedora 17. Nvidia geforce 210 which has VGA, DVI and HDMI outputs in a Dell Optiplex 755. Using latest nvidia driver (310.19). The VGA port works fine. I can connect the DVI port to a TV and nvidia-settings will show that the TV is detected. When I try to connect to the same TV using the HDMI port, the TV isn't detected. It isn't a bad cable because I can use the same cable to drive the TV from a Windows laptop.

xrandr would seem to indicate that the system knows that there is an HDMI port. There seems to be a driver loaded for the audio over HDMI too. I've tried about everything I can find on the net but any and all suggestions appreciated. I'll try them all.
Old 2nd December 2012, 08:21 AM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Device connected to HDMI port not detected.

Do you have another onboard GPU in your computer or does your BIOS setup have any options to configure or disable HDMI/DVI output?

What does Ghome Sound Settings have to say about your HDMI Audio? It should display the name of the GPU.

Does HDMI audio work if you click on the "Test Speakers" button?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gnome_hdmi_audio.png
Views:	106
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	24139  
Old 2nd December 2012, 07:34 PM
DrTodd13 Offline

windows_7firefox
Re: Device connected to HDMI port not detected.

There is onboard video (Intel integrated graphics media accelerator 3100) but as far as I know it is only VGA. I don't believe the gnome sound settings displayed the name of the GPU. I think it just said "HDMI." When I clicked on the test button, the window became unresponsive. I waited a long time and nothing happened so I rebooted. At which point, gnome failed to load and went into fallback mode. The sound settings dialog at that point shows nothing at all. I tried switching to KDE and that started fine and does show the built-in audio plus the HDMI audio although again it doesn't show the GPU name, just says "HDMI."

Tags
connected, detected, device, hdmi, port