Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th November 2011, 09:01 PM
Alan Wake Offline

linuxchrome
Exclamation Completely remove gnome, lxde and xfce

I'm using Fedora 15 Gnome 3 spin and I've installed awesome manager so I want to completely remove installed gnome, lxde and xfce but not to damage already installed applications.
So here is list of installed packages: http://pastebin.com/aGGWwZML. And there is list of dependencies: http://pastebin.com/y45qVMmG. I need to use chrome, firefox, psi, pidgin, skype, transmission, remmina, netbeans, geany, truecrypt, virtualbox, vlc, totem, rhythmbox, libreoffice and gimp. So what packages can I delete safely without damage to those packages which I'm using? Also I can use alternatives for rhythmbox, vlc and totem but another packages are too important for me.
Old 27th November 2011, 10:56 PM
Mariusz W Offline

macosmidori
Re: Completely remove gnome, lxde and xfce

Back up your data and install Fedora from DVD (not live CD). During installation choose "Minimal". After rebooting you will install awesome.

That's much faster, convenient, and safer than removing 70% (at least) of packages that are currently installed on your computer.

Be prepared that all the utilities whose presence you take for granted will be absent. For example, you will have to learn how to connect and manage networking and wireless from the command line.
Old 27th November 2011, 11:21 PM
Alan Wake Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariusz W View Post
Back up your data and install Fedora from DVD (not live CD). During installation choose "Minimal". After rebooting you will install awesome.

That's much faster, convenient, and safer than removing 70% (at least) of packages that are currently installed on your computer.

Be prepared that all the utilities whose presence you take for granted will be absent. For example, you will have to learn how to connect and manage networking and wireless from the command line.
I know that But maybe we can list installed packages which don't used by apps or exclude apps dependencies from the deletion list and also exclude libs that have dependencies from exlude-list?
Old 28th November 2011, 12:00 AM
Mariusz W Offline

macosmidori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wake View Post
I know that But maybe we can list installed packages which don't used by apps or exclude apps dependencies from the deletion list and also exclude libs that have dependencies from exlude-list?
With Xfce and LXDE -- yes, you could remove them with yum. According to my knowledge, the effort that would go into trying to sort out GNOME dependencies is simply not worth it.

In any case this subject has been frequently discussed in the forum, even quite recently, so please search the forum.

Tags
completely, gnome, lxde, remove, xfce