Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Other Versions > EOL (End Of Life) Versions
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

EOL (End Of Life) Versions This is a Forum to discuss problems and workarounds for versions of Fedora that have passed End of Life.

Old 1st March 2012, 02:58 AM
jonathonp Offline

linuxfirefox
Smile How to load updated Intel Integrated graphics kernel module at boot in Fedora 14?

I am having difficulty with kernel module i915 (The VGA controller for Intel's 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics). I am running kernel 3.2.5-3.f14.x86_64.

The notebook is a HP Pro Book 5330m.

Edit. I recompiled each xorg package and their dependencies from http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/sourcef.../STABLE/SRPMS/

Note, if you don't update each installed xorg package the mouse freezes after boot.

I then created a live Fedora 14 live CD with livecd-tools with the default kickstarts adding the updated packages.

Required packages in one of the kickstart files (all four are required in the home directory):

fedora-live-base
fedora-livecd-desktop.ks
fedora-live-desktop.ks
fedora-live-minimization.ks:

firefox
kernel-devel
kernel-headers
iwl6000g2a-firmware
libdrm.i686
libdrm.devel
ntp

Code:
livecd-creator --config=/home/jonathon/fedora-livecd-desktop.ks \ --fslabel=JP-Fedora-14-x64-live --cache=/home/jonathon/cache --tmpdir=/home/jonathon/tmp

After the installation which went fine, I had to enter run level (init 3) due to an error with gdm. I group removed 'GNOME Desktop Environment' and then installed it again. I also group installed 'X Window System', 'Hardware Support', 'Input Methods' to add back any missing packages that had been previously removed.

Fedora 14 is now working well on my new notebook. Thanks to Andrew from fubuntu http://www.fuduntu.org/ for his hard work and keeping Fedora 14 alive for people like myself.

Fedora 17 XFCE x64, Xubuntu 12.04 LTS x64, Windows 7 64bit
HP-ProBook 5830 i3 - PC AMD Core 4
MacBookPro v10.7.4 - 2.8GHz i7 4GB RAM

Last edited by jonathonp; 3rd March 2012 at 01:45 AM.

Tags
boot, graphics, integrated, intel, kernel, load, module