Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd October 2009, 12:34 PM
spillemw Offline

windows_xp_2003safari
FC11 update messes up boot loader

I have my FC11 system set up to automatically download and install updates.
I had to reboot yesterday because of one of these updates. It seems that this update messed up grub. When I rebooted I only got the flickering cursor.

So far I have tried the following using the rescue disk and executing chroot /mnt/sysimage

fdisk -l gives me this result :
I have /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc
Boot flag is with /dev/sda1 which also has FIlesystem Linux, where the other I notice have filesystem Linux LVM (don't know if that is relevant).

I tried to restore grub.

grub
> find /grub/grub.conf
hd(0,0)
> root (hd0,0)
Filesystem type is ext2fs partition type 0x83
> setup (hd0)

and there were no error messages.

However, no change when rebooting.

The device map says that
hd0 = /dev/sda
hd1= /dev/sdb
hd2= /dev/sdc

I also did a grub-install --recheck /dev/sda

All to no avail.

The following struck me as strange, but not sure how relevant :
- In grub, "find /boot/grub/grub.conf" gave me "file not found"; however, with ls I do see a /boot/grub/grub.conf and also a /etc/grub.conf
- This grub.conf file says that boot=/dev/sdc (where the boot flag is with /dev/sda) and all references are to (hd2,0) whereas the "find /grub/grub.conf" always gives me "(hd0,0)" as said above.
- There seems to be no /grub/grub.conf file on my system except under the /boot directory
- I have also tried resetting the boot flag to /dev/sdc with fdisk, but that did not help either.
- originally, I did set the system up on /dev/sdc by the way

Am just trying to guess now what other combinations I could try. I already tried in BIOS to boot from all the different devices. No luck.
Old 23rd October 2009, 02:35 PM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

windows_xp_2003firefox
Boot the system. At the menu, select the kernel that you want to boot. Press 'e' to edit. See if there is a line referencing (hd2,0). If there is, arrow down to that line and press 'e' to edit. Change it to (hd0,0) press enter and press 'b' to boot. See if that works. If it does, make the change permanent.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 23rd October 2009, 02:38 PM
spillemw Offline

windows_xp_2003safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzo View Post
Boot the system. At the menu, select the kernel that you want to boot. Press 'e' to edit. See if there is a line referencing (hd2,0). If there is, arrow down to that line and press 'e' to edit. Change it to (hd0,0) press enter and press 'b' to boot. See if that works. If it does, make the change permanent.
It seems I wasn't clear I don't even get the menu. System hangs right after BIOS checks.
Old 30th October 2009, 01:58 PM
spillemw Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Finally found the issue.

It is important to understand my setup.

I have a system with two IDE drives and two SATA drives that can be configured in RAID. The IDE drives are known to the BIOS as HD-0 and HD-1. They all show up in Fedora as /dev/sdx

After the previous kernel upgrade, I had to set my BIOS to boot from HD-2, which is the first SATA drive or /dev/sda in FC. In fdisk /dev/sda1 carries the boot flag.

After the last kernel upgrade, something got messed up and the system consequently didn't want to boot.
My BIOS however has another option that says "Boot from SCSI". In despair I changed the first boot device to SCSI, and it actually booted.

Tags
boot, fc11, loader, messes, update