Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd December 2009, 04:49 AM
yu xintian Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Question Samba: How to switch user when you access to server from Windows?

Hi all ! I have samba server(Fedora 11) here,but when I want to access to it from WindowXP ,the first time you need to tap in user name and password.But the next time ,you automatically log in Samba server with the user name as the first time you used. But I have not clicked the "Remeber me " option when I logged in.
I want to switch user when I want to log in samba,does anybody know what is wrong ? Any advice is welcome ,thank you !

Details:
security = user
passdb backend = tdbsam
wins support = yes
[samba_folder]
path = /samba_folder
read only = yes
writable = yes
browseable = yes
guest ok = no
Old 3rd December 2009, 04:59 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

linuxopera
Can't you just set it in My Network Places?

I find that if I log out, then log back in, I might have to reenter the user name and password--but I don't pay attention whether that's consistent or not. It might be a time limit thing, but I've never paid close attention.

Do you mean that on XP, you, for example, open My Network Places and go to the samba machine, then, just close the My Network Places Window, and after a few minutes, go back to the samba machine in My Network Places and once again have to log in?

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 3rd December 2009, 06:01 AM
yu xintian Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Yes ,Scottro . Now ,I don't have to re-enter password or user name if I closed the window and login again . But I want to re-enter user name and password when I log in again,so that I can log in as another user. As I remember ,we can do like this when I learned this in college.......I don't think it is a matter of time limit thing ,because after I have closed the window for a long time ,I still have this problem ,even if I restart the network in WindowsXP. The only way to solve this problem,as I currently know ,is restart WindowsXP system .
Old 25th December 2009, 08:21 PM
Vector Offline
Banned

linuxfedorafirefox
What kind of samba authentication are you using? If you're using the default auth, then i have no clue what's going wrong. If you're using some other form, then try using the default. Does it still NOT require a login AFTER you log out of windows? I never have to enter the password again, unless i log out of windows first. If this is your situation, then it is likely that this is a windows issue, and you may want to look for a setting in the registry to change the time that a password is remembered for...

Sorry, but that's about all i'm worth in this thread............
Old 28th December 2009, 01:28 AM
yu xintian Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Hi ,Vector . This problem is solved: it is because Windows don't really close the connection with Linux after you close the window that you use to transfer files.You should run "net user */ del " from "start"->"exec" to shut down the connection manually .It works for me

Tags
access, samba, server, switch, user, windows