Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 24/25 > Security and Privacy
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Security and Privacy Sadly, malware, spyware, hackers and privacy threats abound in today's world. Let's be paranoid and secure our penguins, and slam the doors on privacy exploits.

Old 17th February 2017, 02:02 AM
AnonVendetta Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Questions about encrypting Fedora's partitions during installation

I've been using encryption on all my Windows system volumes for years, but never with Linux. I keep noticing that Fedora's installer has an option to encrypt during installation. So I figure, if I'm going to take the time to make Windows more secure, might as well do the same for Linux. Not much use in having an OS that is secured while another isn't. I haven't really looked into it up until now, because system encryption in Linux seems to be more complicated than in Windows.

So I did a bit of Googling, it looks like LUKS is used. I am booting in UEFI mode, for Fedora there will be root, home, and swap partitions, and of course an EFI partition that OSes will share for boot files. Ideally all 3 of these will be encrypted (except EFI, of course).

I do, however, sometimes need to access Linux's files from within Windows. Right now I use Ext2Fsd, it allows reading and optional writing of ext2/3/4 partitions. Encrypting complicates this, since it's another layer that must be contended with. Are there programs for Windows that will allow to interface with the LUKS encryption, then let Ext2Fsd handle the driver side of accessing the volume's filesystems once I've authenticated?

Right now I use VeraCrypt system encryption with Windows 10, VC works in Linux and so I can mount my Windows volumes just fine. I just would like to be able to do things the other way around too. I'm wary of letting Windows write to an ext2/3/4 volume, I normally just allow read-only access.

Thanks!

V For Vendetta
Old 17th February 2017, 02:09 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Mithrandir

linuxchrome
Re: Questions about encrypting Fedora's partitions during installation

There was a program called freeOTFE that was able to decrypt LUKS volumes from Windows.

There is also librecrypt - https://github.com/t-d-k/LibreCrypt

Technically, librecrypt is for encrypting windows partitions but I am not sure if it will open luks partitions. Try if that works.

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation
Old 17th February 2017, 02:19 AM
AnonVendetta Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Re: Questions about encrypting Fedora's partitions during installation

@nonamedotc: I'm aware of FreeOTFE. I found LibreCrypt on Google but I'm not really open to running Windows in Test Mode, which allows the loading of testsigned/unsigned drivers. I really wouldn't even mind using FreeOTFE, as long as it can mount Fedora's encrypted ext4 partitions successfully. I'm guessing that Ext2Fsd would take over and handle the filesystem driver part, or maybe FreeOTFE does this too?

V For Vendetta

Tags
encrypting, fedora, installation, partitions, questions