FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 98
  1. #61
    feaf_04 Guest
    Same think is happening to me. I have an Averatec 330 Series. I was able to install FC3, Mandriva, Ubuntu and Debian.
    But no luck with FC4.

  2. #62
    seanj Guest
    Okay, so a few devs made glum comments and a redundant link to the "mediacheck" workaround, but what about a fix? Fedora Core 4 was going to be my answer to everything and it crashes at install. The only other thing I've ever had do that on this machine of mine is OpenBSD 3.5. Very disappointing, and more so that none of the developers offered any helpful suggestions or hinted at finding a workaround. Not impressed.

  3. #63
    capnqwest Guest
    typing "linux media check" worked for me. After two VERY frustrating nights... Didn't have this problem with any iteration of the GC4 tests. I had quite a few other problems that didn't appear in the test versions of FC4 even though my machine hasn't changed one bit. It's not good that Fedora is now the hardest distro to install.
    Last edited by capnqwest; 27th June 2005 at 03:27 AM.

  4. #64
    verifine Guest
    Hi folks - new here. Thanks for the tip, I'm now installing FC4 on a P4 2.8 GHz machine. What I noticed in my trials and troubles is that as soon as I added a SATA drive, the kernel panicked. Originally I tried to use a SATA to PATA adapter (so I could use two PATA drives on this motherboard, which has only one parallel ATA channel). Kernel panic. OK, so after a trip to Fry's, two new SATA drives - and more kernel panics. The "mediacheck" trick worked and installation is proceeding, but I noted a high correlation between people with one or more SATA drives and the kernel panic. Could it be there's a relationship between SATA and the panics?

  5. #65
    seanj Guest
    The trick didn't work for me. Installation failed completely. I have a PC-CHIPS M863G 1.5 board, AMD Duron CPU w/ 512M RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 GPU, SiS(something) 2xAGP bus, and can't use Fedora Core 4 with it at all. Waste of 4 discs. IDE drives, mind you. No SATA.

  6. #66
    verifine Guest
    Interesting - on this motherboard, if I used a parallel ATA drive the installation would work normally. Since RAID was necessary, SATA had to be added. As soon as a SATA drive was seen, the kernel would panic. As of this writing, installation is 3/4 done - we'll see how it runs when it's time to reboot.

  7. #67
    seanj Guest
    Glad you got it worked out, verifine. Hopefully there will some kind of help for twits like me who can't find a workaround.

  8. #68
    caldeira Guest
    Hi Folks, I possess a ASUS P5GDC Deluxe - Pentium 4 630 - 1GB RAM DDR400, try to soon install the FC4 and in the BOOT of the Kernel Panic. What I must make, they has some suggestion?

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Universe/Virgo Supercluster/Local Group/Milky Way/Solar System/Earth/Europe/...
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Doen't matter...

    Quote Originally Posted by schlongsalami
    Ok here was my fix.. As strange as it sounds...

    When I booted up my computer from the DVD.. I typed mediacheck, it would give me an error, I then typed linux mediacheck and everything worked find... I'm using FC4 now...

    If I just typed linux mediacheck first I would get the same error 'kernel panic' ..

    For some strange reason it only works if I type mediacheck first then linux media check...

    I have installed FC4 twice this way... Hope others find this helpfull...
    You can type whatever you want (it must be an wrong option... like ... name of a chick anything.

  10. #70
    blokecom Guest

    amazing

    certainly one of the strangest things I've ever seen!

    Worked for me...

    I was getting kernel panic.. attempting to kill init

    motherboard: asus p5ad2-e-p
    raid 1 sata drives (didn't seem to matter how I configured them!)

    thanks, you're a life saver.

    Cameron
    http://www.ausprices.com.au/

  11. #71
    feaf_04 Guest

    FC4 very limited

    Sounds like windows. But it is Linux. Should work with the Averatce 3300 Series. In fact I have FC3 running at the momment. But FC4 just give me panic as soon as it start the DVD.

    Should I forget FC4 and continue using Mandriva, because that flavor worked ok.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lab3e
    After I press "enter" to begin graphical-mode install, about a page of stuff goes by ending with:

    RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0.
    VFS: Cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unknown-block(8,3)
    Please append a correct "root=" boot option
    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(
    [<c01201eb] .... blah blah blah
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla....cgi?id=159026
    The "garbage" workaround detailed in this report will solve this particular problem for the majority of users.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Where should one look for a solution

    As one that is unable to install FC4 (and now FC3), what would be the most likely place to find a official fix to the problem? New ISO?

    I found an old RH 7 on my shelf and it installs without a hitch.

    Disappointed.......

  14. #74
    chrislss Guest
    I experienced the same issue - install failed after 'running /sbin/loader', followed by kernel panic. No SATA drives present (IDE only), appears to be caused by failure to access the drive.

    As a test, deleted the existing partitions on the existing drives (RH 9), for good measure formatted with FAT32 (had an old DOS boot disk with fdisk/format - at this point I was ready to try anything).

    The installation ran without a hitch. Not an 'official fix', seems to work well for a fresh installation.

  15. #75
    omid455 Guest

    Same problem with HP

    I have a HP DX2000 desktop with p4 2.8 - 512 ram and 40 GB
    And the same kernel panic problem. I tried on several other HP PCs but it does not work, It works fine on my Dell Inspiron 510m.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Kernel panic after installing 2.6.22 kernels in F7
    By aatlasis in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 23rd September 2007, 10:48 AM
  2. FC7 Kernel Panic after installing
    By D0ubleStakked in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 24th August 2007, 12:19 PM
  3. Kernel panic, Cannot boot after installing new kernel
    By Ambiguous-69 in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 6th June 2007, 03:58 AM
  4. Kernel panic installing FC3
    By fsjws4 in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 19th November 2004, 07:15 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •