FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 626
  1. #61
    zenora Guest
    Yep, mismatch between the kernel version and ndiswrapper version. Make sure they are the same version.

    # /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -i /<location>/<windows-driver-file>.inf
    Installing <windows-driver>
    Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
    Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
    # /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -l
    Installed ndis drivers:
    <windows-driver> driver present, hardware present
    # /sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper
    # /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -m

    Adding "alias wlan0 ndiswrapper" to /etc/modprobe.conf
    # /sbin/iwconfig

    Then GoTo Desktop>>SystemsSetting>>Network>> and do as the 1st message on this thread says... it took me almost almost a month to get my Microsoft MN-730 Wireless working.

    The whole darn thing can be simplified with a simple GUI. I hope someone makes one. As I've seen in many [many!] postings, Linux is weak on installation process, and especially of wireless.

  2. #62
    sabergo Guest
    I've gotten my Motorola card (bcmwl5) to work using the HOWTO at the beginning of the post. All went as it should until I went to activate the card -- had to try maybe 20-30 times before it activated. Worked fine for awhile but stopped on re-boot and refused to activate again. Went through uninstall-reinstall routine multiple times, but No Go. Kwifimanager and the network connection monitor both showed a perfect signal, with Kwifi reporting the Router by name. Every check in the last 5 pages of postings worked.

    My 5 year old (getting frustrated with papa in front of the computer for so long) said: "the computer isn't broke, something else is." Ah ha -- the Router. Made two changes -- channel and something on the same page as the firewall settings (i'll check if someone wants), rebooted into Linux, and it works -- even though the channel in the FC network device control is different (9 vs 6) -- and has continued to work. Download rates are double that of windows for the same file on the same site! Thats weird.

    Good luck all.

    steve

  3. #63
    zenora Guest
    If you updated the kernel, ndiswrapper might expect the driver in the latest kernel area and the original ndiswrapper installation is pointing to older kernel area. That would be a point of failure to check. I remember driverloader [similar to ndiswrapper] recompiling from source at reboot everytime there was a FC4 kernel in the last month or so.

  4. #64
    P235 Guest
    Hi, I've tried the steps to the first post here but I'm having problems when I try modprobe ndiswrapper. If I try that command I get "bash: modprobe: command not found"

    If I try "/sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper" I get "FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found."

    I'm a newb using FC4. I've installed ndiswrapper via yum from the repository posted above as well.

    Thanks

  5. #65
    Darkmage Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by P235
    Hi, I've tried the steps to the first post here but I'm having problems when I try modprobe ndiswrapper. If I try that command I get "bash: modprobe: command not found"

    If I try "/sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper" I get "FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found."

    I'm a newb using FC4. I've installed ndiswrapper via yum from the repository posted above as well.

    Thanks
    What is the output of this command from a terminal
    Code:
    rpm -qa |grep kernel |sort

  6. #66
    P235 Guest

    Output

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkmage
    What is the output of this command from a terminal
    Code:
    rpm -qa |grep kernel |sort
    The output is

    Code:
    kernel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
    kernel-2.6.12-1.1390_FC4
    kernel-module-ndiswrapper-2.6.12-1.1390_FC4-1.2-0.lvn.3.4

  7. #67
    Darkmage Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by P235
    The output is

    Code:
    kernel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
    kernel-2.6.12-1.1390_FC4
    kernel-module-ndiswrapper-2.6.12-1.1390_FC4-1.2-0.lvn.3.4
    What is the output of
    Code:
    /bin/uname -r

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    2,657
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uname -r display the current kernel you use on your system

    Example
    Code:
    $ uname -r
    2.6.12-1.1390_FC4
    Desktop CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - Memory: 128GB DDR4-RAM - GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ AMD Radeon RX 9070XT 16GB Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe with Heatsink, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVMe and NAS WD 7200 RPM 4TB for backup - OS: Fedora 42 Design Suite x86-64 and Windows 11 64-bit
    Laptop
    Dell Inspiron 14 7445 2-in-1 - APU: AMD Ryzen 7 8840HS with Radeon 780M - Memory: 16GB DDR5-RAM - Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 4TB NVMe - OS: Fedora 43 Design Suite x86-64

  9. #69
    P235 Guest

    /bin/uname -r output

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkmage
    What is the output of
    Code:
    /bin/uname -r
    It is:

    Code:
    2.6.11-1.1369_FC4

  10. #70
    Darkmage Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by P235
    It is:

    Code:
    2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
    You are booting into linux with the wrong kernel for ndiswrapper. Try booting into kernel-2.6.12-1.1390_FC4.
    Then it will be possible to run /sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper.

  11. #71
    P235 Guest
    Thanks Darkmage, you're very helpful. I'm posting this via my wireless card now. So where do I go if I want to be as wise about linux as you and a whole bunch of others seem to be?

    Is there a way to make .6.12-1.1390_FC4 default on reboot?
    Last edited by P235; 12th July 2005 at 05:35 AM.

  12. #72
    Darkmage Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by P235
    Thanks Darkmage, you're very helpful. I'm posting this via my wireless card now. So where do I go if I want to be as wise about linux as you and a whole bunch of others seem to be?

    Is there a way to make .6.12-1.1390_FC4 default on reboot?
    open a terminal and used an editor -vi, emac, gedit, kate, kwrite to edit this file as root
    The example I am going to give is using gedit
    Code:
    su -c "gedit /etc/grub.conf"
    Then type in the root password

    change default=1 to default=0. Save and exit. Reboot and it should boot the first kernel in your /etc/grub.conf


    For more linux knowledge, I prefer a rieference book like these Fedora Books
    I like Red Hat Fedora 4 Unleashed

  13. #73
    Confuse Guest

    redhat gui doesn't configure networkcard

    I have tried using the instructions from this howto and they have worked well in installing and loading the bcmwl5.inf driver. The problem is that the redhat network gui can't configure the card for some reason. I have to do everything manually in order to get it to work properly. By manually I mean I have to use iwconfig and friends and setup my network like that. NetworkManager tries to send a dhcp package to my router connection but it times out. Is this inability of the GUI network config something thats happened to someone else?

    Error I get in GUI: Determining IP information for wlan0...failed; no link present. Check cables?

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    253
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed new kernel and ndiswrapper/wlan disappearred. I have used tar.gz file with 2.6.11 kernel and here is tiny howto what I have done and everything is working

    kernel 2.6.11

    untar ndiswrapper
    go to ndiswrapper-1.2/lib
    make
    make install
    ndiswrapper -i "driver path"
    ndiswrapper -l (lists driver info)
    ndiswrapper -m (adds alias line to modprobe.conf)
    modprobe ndiswrapper (if not hanging boot machine)

    when kernel changed I just done make and make install again and I can use wlan OK!
    asus A3500 laptop
    intel celeron m360
    1 GB memory
    Fedora Core 9
    registered LINUX user 395221

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    253
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hello Confuse

    I had that same porblem some time ago with FC3 and reason was ssid name and encryption. I didn't have to make any configuration when I installed FC4 just check channel, ssid (make it auto first), don't use encryption right away.
    asus A3500 laptop
    intel celeron m360
    1 GB memory
    Fedora Core 9
    registered LINUX user 395221

Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. ndiswrapper on fedora 10
    By demonmail in forum Hardware
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 4th January 2009, 09:48 PM
  2. ndiswrapper + Fedora 9
    By BlackWolf in forum Servers & Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 30th August 2008, 12:40 AM
  3. Ndiswrapper Fedora 8
    By boromlamtoro in forum Servers & Networking
    Replies: 327
    Last Post: 3rd June 2008, 06:49 AM
  4. Fedora 8, ndiswrapper, WPA
    By KirkD in forum Servers & Networking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 26th February 2008, 12:06 AM
  5. Ndiswrapper for Fedora 8!
    By keatonvictor in forum Hardware
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30th November 2007, 03:18 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •