FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wiltshire, UK
    Age
    60
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: GConf daemon not starting

    I have been having this from time to time as well.

    The fix that works for me is to kill gconfd-2

    # killall gconfd-2

    The next time something that needs it starts, the daemon restarts as well.

    Hope this helps

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    ~
    Posts
    2,113
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: GConf daemon not starting

    Quote Originally Posted by admered1
    I have been having this from time to time as well.

    The fix that works for me is to kill gconfd-2

    # killall gconfd-2

    The next time something that needs it starts, the daemon restarts as well.

    Hope this helps
    Thanks, that solution works great for me!

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wiltshire, UK
    Age
    60
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: GConf daemon not starting

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchy
    Thanks, that solution works great for me!
    Excellent

    Now I guess we just have to hope that someone susses out why gconfd-2 is glitching and failing to shut down properly.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cochin, Kerala, India
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: GConf daemon not starting

    I have been having this from time to time as well.

    The fix that works for me is to kill gconfd-2

    # killall gconfd-2

    The next time something that needs it starts, the daemon restarts as well.

    Hope this helps

    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archiv.../t-273292.html

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: GConf daemon not starting

    this thread is tagged as [SOLVED] and it's not by all reports in the comments above and in the alternate thread posted by ranjithsiji .
    I've been getting this error since i installed back in February. The workarounds above are good, but it's not SOLVED.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    11,390
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: GConf daemon not starting

    Well, this forum isn't about solving problems that take a developer to fix in the application, and then packaging it up and making it available to all users in the updates repo. The developers don't hang around in here.

    This forum is about getting things working on peoples system that are having problems. If a workaround fixes their issue, then it is considered solved in a case like this one. (If you look around, most of the cases in here where there is an issue with the application the solution is a workaround, not actual an actual fix)

    I do agree, the issue really isn't solved, but for the purpose of this forum it is. The original poster found a way to work around the issue, so his issue was solved.

    To get a solution, chances are you would have to file a bug report wherever the developer of the application would see it. (If it happens to be a Gnome application, then you are probably just SOL. I have filed several bug reports against Gnome applications, most have been sitting there over a year now without even a single response, and yes, the bugs still exist. The only) bug report on a gnome application I even got a response to was only after it was mentioned that it might be put on the blocker list (that bug did get fixed, too).)

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: GConf daemon not starting

    Is it just me or is this problem getting worse?

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Lviv
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: GConf daemon not starting

    Is it just me or is this problem getting worse?
    Got the same on Opensuse 12.2 with Gnome

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wiltshire, UK
    Age
    60
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: GConf daemon not starting

    Funnily enough, I have just had to restart the gconfd-2 daemon on a F17 laptop .. again

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: GConf daemon not starting

    I upgraded to F18 a few weeks ago and since a few days I started to see this **** again (as with F16). I strongly think that it's related to some of my post-installation changes, but trying to remember, the only thing that I can think is the disabling of the tracker stuff; I re-enabled it but the problem persists. Sigh.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Portland, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: GConf daemon not starting

    I wrote the original message back in Nov 2011 and I'm amazed that the problem is still plaguing users after 15 months. I switched over to XFCE exclusively for a long time, even through an upgrade to F17. But when MATE became available, I switched over to that, and I'm quite pleased with it. I have revived a few of the Gnone apps I formerly used and haven't had any configuration daemon problems. I might consider the Gnome desktop again someday if they do away with setting up the start menu as a screenful of icons.
    - Dennis

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    469
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: GConf daemon not starting

    I just started getting this too on Fedora 18..

    The only changes between now and this morning when I was not getting this error are:
    1) Removed nouveau.modeset=0 from /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    2) ReInstalled latest compat-wireless for my problems with Atheros AR8152

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. GConf warning when starting LibreOffice3.3
    By Tony_Harrison in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10th October 2010, 02:53 AM
  2. "Could not send message to GConf daemon"
    By dO_Ob in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th August 2009, 04:16 PM
  3. Hal daemon slow starting after yum update
    By mike00 in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25th January 2007, 05:22 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •