FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 20 of 20
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wine Country, California
    Posts
    2,850
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hermouche
    the command below gives me an ERROR

    [root@localhost ~]# rpmdb --rebuilddb
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db4 error(-30977) from dbenv->open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - (-30977)
    Did you remove the db before you used the rebuild command?
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Knuckles
    # rm /var/lib/rpm/__db*
    # rpm --rebuilddb
    # yum -y update
    The repos are in /etc/yum.repos.d although I'm not sure you have a problem with them. Yesterday you said it was updating.

    Note, that is 2 underscores before db* in #rm /var/lib/rpm/__db*
    Mark N.

    Perpetual Newbie
    --
    I wanted to proclaim myself "The Typo King" but there's way too much competion. :p

    411874 Get Counted

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Algeria
    Posts
    828
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok i got it .

    thanks

    red

  3. #18
    meverhagen Guest
    Yeah a confusing yum flaw
    I can run yum for several times without error, but sometimes for no obvious reson it gives an error.
    The six repo's I use aren't the problem. The correct ones are enabled and the lots of others aren't.

    It his hard to say what is causing it.

    this is the error notice:

    rpmdb: unable to allocate space from the buffer cache
    error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Kan geen geheugen toewijzen (12)
    error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
    Component: Software Updater
    Summary: TBc3704fb6 config.py:656:_getsysver:TypeError: rpmdb open failed


    I found two ways of getting yum to run again,

    the first is to delete the db (No need to rebuild with rpm --rebuild, this is nessesairy when yum fails on lib dependacies wich are present on your system, wich occasionaly happens with self compiled things.)

    # rm /var/lib/rpm/__db*


    the second is to reboot.

    I wonder, does the reboot clean up the db when shutting down ?

    One of the db files __db.000 appears to be empty, a file of zero lenght.
    I think this empty file is the somehow the problem. (Yum can;t open an empty db index, cause it doens't exists ! flaw)

    Yum seems to create the empty file just before running the transactions.

    Why would yum create an empty db file without using it ?

    Anyhow somehow yum isn't able to read in the db in /var/lib/rpm
    this seems to happen when yum is run and completed,
    the pc is left on for another day or two,
    and yum can't read in the db anymore.
    Delete the db in /var/lib/rpm/__db.* and yum will run again (maybe deleting the empty db /var/lib/rpm/__db.000 will do)
    .

  4. #19
    abieleck Guest

    Unhappy

    Code:
    gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY'
    is in a file
    Code:
    /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-core.repo
    I have Fedora Core 6, in other distributions the location may be different.
    I had the same problem but typing
    Code:
    rm /var/lib/rpm/__db*
    rpm --rebuilddb
    was enough to fix the problem. I don't know what this command means, just followed advice.

    Regards,
    Artur
    -----------------------------------------------
    A software you don't know how to use is useless

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wine Country, California
    Posts
    2,850
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is another thread that explains that this may not alway be the preferred method. I'll post it when I find it, Or do a search for common solutions and you should find it, but I think it says that rpm --rebuilddb could be dangerous and you should do the rm /var/lib/rpm/__db* first and reboot and the --db's should be recreated and the rebuilddb should be a last resort.

    I have done this several times (rm --db* and rebuilddb) without issues, but I did it once on FC3 and was royally screwed so I don't doubt that the thread has merits.
    Mark N.

    Perpetual Newbie
    --
    I wanted to proclaim myself "The Typo King" but there's way too much competion. :p

    411874 Get Counted

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Yum: exceptions.TypeError since last update
    By awhb in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16th March 2009, 05:30 PM
  2. rpmdb open failed
    By asulwer in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24th March 2007, 08:20 PM
  3. rpmdb open failed
    By Plossl in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13th January 2007, 03:17 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •