FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 84
  1. #1
    Butt-Ugly Guest

    Post Linux Home Server HOWTO

    G'day all,

    EDIT: This HOWTO has been UPDATED to Fedora Core 5. (20 Jun 06)

    Im currently drafting an installation guide to configure Linux as a networked home server with all the email, www, smtp, ftp, dns, dhcp, squid, mySQL, samba, NFS (etc) applications documented.

    I have currently reached draft status on the first 13 (of 20 odd) chapters and am ready for interested parties to read/test it (there are some little sections still lacking). Its a high level document, so if you only want the config details (without the techo stuff) then this is for you.

    I am using FC3 as the distro for the configs and file paths, and it contains some FC3 specific configurations (yum, up2date, step-by-step install guide). The FC3 specific sections will eventually be moved to annexes in later revisions, allowing it to be a more generic document supporting further distros (the plan anyway).

    The HOWTO is currently located at http://www.brennan.id.au while it is being drafted and will be moved on completion.

    I appreciate any feedback/comments on the document, particularly if the concepts are easy to read/understand by the newer members of the community.

    The layout/format (html) still needs works.

    Regards,

    Miles Brennan
    (aka BU)

    EDIT: This HOWTO has been UPDATED to Fedora Core 5. (20 Jun 06)
    Last edited by Butt-Ugly; 22nd June 2006 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Updating documentation for FC5

  2. #2
    h4d Guest
    I breezed through the topics and it looks good. I usually go to nag2.pdf (you can check it out on tldp.org) for my networking and server configuration needs. It's nice to have one for FC3!
    When I give it a more thorough read I'll give you more feedback. I just think it's great you are taking the time to do this.

  3. #3
    imdeemvp Guest
    I want to check it out but I couldnt reach it.

  4. #4
    h4d Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by imdeemvp
    I want to check it out but I couldnt reach it.
    That's strange, I just clicked on the link again and it was fine...

  5. #5
    imdeemvp Guest
    Funny I just clicked on it and it worked. :o

  6. #6
    Tru Guest
    Wow! I was just scrolling thru some of your stuff and reading it and it looks great. I was trying to use FC2 as a firewall/router to my home network but it was giving me problems with my 2 nics not sure if its because of my intergrated nic or what but your tutorial has promted me to give it a shot again. Man if where you I would see about trying to get that published. There are no FC3 books out there yet and that on would be a great help to people to have a hard copy.

    Also is there anychance you could make it so we could download it? I would like to put it on my laptop and be able to read it wether I am on the web or not.

  7. #7
    Barus Guest
    Wow! Great howto's!
    Very handy and clear information for setting up a server.

    Keep up the good work!

  8. #8
    jarifed Guest
    Excellent document.
    It's a good base to start from and I am sure it will improve as time goes by.

  9. #9
    Butt-Ugly Guest
    Thanks for all the positive feedback, my aim is to keep it simple (KISS), otherwise people wont use it.

    Miles.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Penguin Land
    Age
    76
    Posts
    1,939
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good deal, make it as fool proof as possible, many people love a clear how to
    + Visit My new blog
    - [B]SlashGear US, SlashGear Japan, and
    +Founder & Admin of www.fedoraforum.org

    Follow me at http://twitter.com/ewdi

    Laptop : MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4GB DDR, 20-inch iMac Aluminium/4GB RAM

  11. #11
    Butt-Ugly Guest
    Ok I've finished the mail server chapter (12).

    Well I still need to do spamfiltering.. Its on TODO..
    • Basic Configuration
    • Starting The Services
    • Hardening Sendmail
    • Fighting Spam (TODO)
    • Antivirus Scanning
    http://www.brennan.id.au/12-Sendmail_Server.html

    You can get the Clam AntiVirus "clamav" and "clamav-milter" RPMs over here if you need them: http://crash.fce.vutbr.cz/

    Miles.

  12. #12
    Butt-Ugly Guest
    OK, thats now 15 done - System Printing...
    • Configuring CUPS
    • Adding CUPS Printers
    • Installing The Driver File

    More of a smallish chapter, but guides you through setting up a CUPS server and making the printers available for your internal workstations.

    Also updating printer PPD files...

    http://www.brennan.id.au/15-System_Printing.html

    Miles.

  13. #13
    Sniffer Guest
    Excellent indeed.

    Thanks for your great work and keep it up.

    It will help me a lot.

  14. #14
    lvansteen Guest

    Thumbs up

    This is great stuff!!

    Keep up the good work!

  15. #15
    tabascal Guest
    This is great.

    I was looking for some material to set up radius server(Freeradius) in FC3 for my wireless ap access.

    I also wanted to some materials to connect my FC3 server to my win2k server and use ntlm_auth. I guess it needs Kerberos authentication.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Linux Home Server/Media Center
    By sunflash2 in forum Servers & Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28th May 2008, 05:07 PM
  2. HowTo: Setup an, FTP, MySQL, HTTP Home Server – FC4
    By SharedMedia in forum Guides & Solutions (Not For Questions)
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 29th December 2006, 01:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •