After installing Fedora 8, it hangs right after going through GRUB when it says Red Hat Nash something something something.
I'm going to try to reinstall and come back to let you know if this happens again.
After installing Fedora 8, it hangs right after going through GRUB when it says Red Hat Nash something something something.
I'm going to try to reinstall and come back to let you know if this happens again.
Ok, re-installing did not solve this problem. It said Red Hat Nash version something.
Nothing after that at all? Weird, there should at least be some error message. That red-hat nash thing is normal, its part of the boot process.Originally Posted by rudeboyskunk
Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, 1GB ram, nvidia geforce 8600gt, Atheros WiFi, 80GB SATA hd, Windows Vista
Laptop: Acer Aspire 4520, Mobile Athlon64 X2 TK-53, 1GB ram, 120gb hd, nvidia geforce go 7000m, Fedora 8
"If it aint broke, tweak it!" -unknown
Have you tried booting into runlevel 3?
S.C.O.U.R.G.E. Heroes of lesser renown, contributor.
Ok, right before the Red Hat nash version part, it says this:
ACPI Invalid PBLK length [5]
Mean anything?
How would I boot into runlevel 3?
Registered Linux user #456500
Partition 1: OpenSuSE 10.3 * Partition 2: Ubuntu 7.10
Partition 3: Fedora 8 * Partition 4: PCBSD 1.4
Haikus can be fun, but sometimes they don't make sense, refrigerator.
sounds like a hdd block error. try this. Go into your BIOS and make sure your hdd mode is set to ACHI if it is SATA and if its PATA set it to IDE. Some BIOS have it set to automatic.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"I like mine with extra sugar please"[/FONT]
Linux/Unix distos currently used:
Fedora Core 8, Gentoo, and FreeBSD.
Try appending the grub boot line with acpi=off.
When you get the grub boot screen press any key to keep it from timing out. Then use the arrow keys to select you kernel line. Press "e" to edit that line. Add acpi=off to the end of the line. Then press "b" to boot. Your completed line should look something like this.EDIT: You can use the above method to append a "3" to your kernel line. Then the system will boot into runlevel 3.Code:kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=LABEL=/ quiet acpi=off
S.C.O.U.R.G.E. Heroes of lesser renown, contributor.
Hi, I just installed Fedora 8 x64 from the DVD, which went smoothly. However when I try to boot it GRUB loads as expected, but after selecting the Fedora OS the boot process stops. The only output I get is the following: -
After that point the loading process just stops, and I'm left with that text and a flashing cursor below it forever.Code:Booting 'Fedora (2.6.23.1-42.fc8)' root (hd0,1) Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83 kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x2c00, size=0x1d3c18] initrd /initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img [Linux-initrd @ 0x37c26000, 0x3c9eba bytes]
I'd appreciate any help in trying to diagnose the problem. I did install to a software RAID volume using my motherboard's Intel ICH9R chipset, but this was detected automatically by the installer and since GRUB has installed fine and has no trouble booting to my secondary OS, I'm not sure that this is the issue.
Some basic system specs in case that's any help:
Abit IP35 pro motherboard
Intel Q6600 quad core processor
4GB DDR2 RAM
Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS graphics card
2x500GB SATA hard disk using motherboard raid 0
SATA DVD/RW drive
Thanks for any help.
My BIOS doesn't have any settings like this that I can find (I looked through the whole thing). It's an HP Pavilion 751n.Originally Posted by Gentoo Bob
Also, I tried setting it acpi=off and adding a 3 (separately and together), and it didn't work. The installation media has to be fine because the OS installed without a problem (right?).
Registered Linux user #456500
Partition 1: OpenSuSE 10.3 * Partition 2: Ubuntu 7.10
Partition 3: Fedora 8 * Partition 4: PCBSD 1.4
Haikus can be fun, but sometimes they don't make sense, refrigerator.
Not necessarily, did you run the disk check?Originally Posted by rudeboyskunk
S.C.O.U.R.G.E. Heroes of lesser renown, contributor.
No, I'll go ahead and do that now though.
Registered Linux user #456500
Partition 1: OpenSuSE 10.3 * Partition 2: Ubuntu 7.10
Partition 3: Fedora 8 * Partition 4: PCBSD 1.4
Haikus can be fun, but sometimes they don't make sense, refrigerator.
Try 32 bit version
Is there some particular reason that might help? I would prefer to run the 64 bit version, and am most certainly using a 64 bit system.
Just FYI, I tried it with APM, ACPI etc. set to off in the kernel parameters, no difference, same issue. Not making much headway with this to be honest.
Ok, the media check says the cd is fine. I don't know what to do!
Registered Linux user #456500
Partition 1: OpenSuSE 10.3 * Partition 2: Ubuntu 7.10
Partition 3: Fedora 8 * Partition 4: PCBSD 1.4
Haikus can be fun, but sometimes they don't make sense, refrigerator.