Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th August 2004, 07:17 PM
dunkin690 Offline

Fileserver for Windows Clients

A quick question. How do I go about setting up Fedora as a fileserver for my clients. The users workstation is Win2000 and the Win Server is Advance Server I setup years ago and now would like them to switch to a Linux Server using Ferora. All the file server will do (As it does now on the Win2000 server) is allow the users to save their work on the server and let the server maintain a daily bkup.

Is there a step-by-step guide for setting up a local server or how to replace a windows 2000 server with a Linux system for those still using a win workstation?

Thanks for any help or additional input.

Louis
Old 24th August 2004, 07:27 PM
kosmosik Offline

should be much like this manual (with little cosmetic changes, if any) I think it is still up to date with newest Fedora...
http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/lin.../ch-samba.html

of course it is GUI way, you can always use your editor and edit config files but then you'll have to dig into manual :P that is proper way since you'll know what you are doing... antoher way is to install SWAT (samba-swat) it is a webbased GUI to Samba configuration. but it is kinda unsecure, but works.
Old 24th August 2004, 08:00 PM
dunkin690 Offline

Great!

Thanks for the info! Will give it a try and I do prefer GUI when working with any system. Again, thanks!
Old 25th August 2004, 07:14 AM
Ned Offline

Yes, SAMBA is what you need. I do exactly the same on my network

There are two ways you can go about this depending on how many users you have on your windows network and what access you want them to have.

If you only have a few users, you could set up user accounts on the linux fileserver for each user giving them the same username and password as their windows accounts and each user can access the SAMBA server at their home dir. This is nice as each user can easily be restricted to their home dir if needed. Obviously this starts to get impractical if you have a large number of users.

Or if you have many users or users need to share info on the server between themselves, you can just create a shared dir and use guest priviledges to make it open to everyone on the network. You can then start restricting priviledges as required.

One thing to remember - make sure you set the same workgroup name on your SAMBA server as the windows workgroup.

Hope that helps get you started.

Ned

Last edited by Ned; 25th August 2004 at 07:16 AM.
Old 25th August 2004, 03:02 PM
JonR Offline

You need SAMBA.

For a quick and easy try this:

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19967

JonR
Registered Linux User #363869.
i686 F8, Quad Core F10 64-bit, Core2Duo F16 64-bit.

Tags
clients, fileserver, windows