Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd January 2008, 10:24 PM
old486whizz Offline

F7 -> F8 upgrade on Toshiba Tecra

Guys (and Gals).

This is the second time I've upgraded Fedora. The first was when I copied my root partition onto a desktop machine and upgraded from there, then about a month later on I've upgraded my laptop.

I noticed I've had to remove a package or two - but nothing major, and I'm quite happy that the system is working well.. BUT (you knew it was coming).

When booting, I have a custom script in rc3.d to check if my power supply is from the battery or mains and set the cpu frequency and LCD brightness respectively.
I do this through echoing a number into /proc/acpi/toshiba/lcd, which is a kernel extension.

Now to fix this I need to put in a modprobe toshiba-acpi, that's fine and dandy - but I never USED to in F7, it was loaded automatically!
Comparing the config's for both F7 and F8 kernels I notice no difference, and I thought config files were put as '.rpmnew' instead of overwritten.

So where has this come from?
How do I know that I'm getting the BEST modules loaded (best being most appropriate to my hardware)?

I do a google search but I find information on toshiba laptops with other flavors of linux, or generic fedora-on-laptop posts.
And browsing the releasenotes I can't find anything related (but they're pretty big to try and find this related issue in).
Bugtracker is my one weakness (I can't use it at all).

But if someone could help me out that would be superb.

Tags
>, tecra, toshiba, upgrade