Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th January 2008, 03:50 PM
sophosrex Offline

Installing Firefox without losing current config

Hi folks

I want to install the latest version of Firefox 2.0 and have tried to update it with yum but it only updates to 1.5. I could download the latest tar.gz and install but based on past experience this is basically a fresh install and the result is that I lose all my plug-ins like mplayer, flash etc, It took me too long to get my plugins working right.
Any guidance or a pointer to a good install doc.

Thanks
Memory: 2GB DDR-RAM
Storage: Seagate 320 GB HDD x2 SATA RAID
OS: Dual boot Fedora Core 6 2.6.22.1-32 kernel/Windows XP SP 2
Case: Mini-Box212 for MicroATX W/300W PS
Old 10th January 2008, 04:07 PM
stevea Offline

There are sevel places where the plugins reside.

You should probably prefer to put all plugins in /lib/mozilla/plugins. All fedora revs will check there.
Also plugins may appear in /lib/firefox-1.5.0.4/plugins (or whatever revision). The rpms will generally copy these over as new ff revs are installed, but ...
So go ahead and install ff2.x and then copy over the plugins to the mozilla/plugins dir and ...
Old 10th January 2008, 04:35 PM
sophosrex Offline

Thanks

Yeah this has always messed me up why the two plugin dirs? Does firefox look in both because currently I have my mplayer plugins in the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins dir and my java plugins in the usr/lib/firefox-1.5../plugins dir. So you saying if I install firefox 2.x then copy all plugins in the old firefox 1.5 plugins to mozilla/plugins dir I should be OK. Also fro my java plugin I currently have a sym link in my /usr/lib/firefox1.5/plugin/ back to my /usr/java/plugin so I wouuld alos have to change that to point to my /usr/lib/mozilla/plugin dir? And finnaly my current path on my kde desktop points to the default location fro firefox whwn I installed it the the OS will the new version have to point to the firefox dir executable?

Thanks alot
Old 10th January 2008, 09:46 PM
sophosrex Offline

Update

Just as I thought I installed 2.0 and I have my bookmarks but not my plugins. My plugins are in /lusr/lib/mozilla. The old version works just fine.

Help Please
Memory: 2GB DDR-RAM
Storage: Seagate 320 GB HDD x2 SATA RAID
OS: Dual boot Fedora Core 6 2.6.22.1-32 kernel/Windows XP SP 2
Case: Mini-Box212 for MicroATX W/300W PS
Old 10th January 2008, 10:02 PM
sophosrex Offline

Nevermind all I figured t out. In fact I had to copy all my plugins FROM the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory to the plugins directory for the new version and redoe my sym link for java.

Thanks anyway

Tags
config, current, firefox, installing, losing