Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st November 2007, 07:39 PM
spiderman101 Offline

FC4 to FC8 Upgrade dies while checking dependencies

Anybody have any idea why the Upgrade (from DVD) would die on checking dependencies? It gets stuck right under the S from selected in the message.

I tried installing a fresh install of FC4 and upgrade to FC8 and it dies at the same place. I tried the upgrade from an FC5 clean install and it works. I've got a bunch of servers that are due for an upgrade and some are on FC4. Would be a pain in the behind if I'd have to upgrade to FC5 and then FC8.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated
Old 21st November 2007, 08:33 PM
spiderman101 Offline

Just an update, upgrading a fresh install of FC4 to FC5 works but then the upgrade to FC8 dies at the same place
Old 21st November 2007, 09:04 PM
Jongi Offline

that's pretty ambitious
Old 21st November 2007, 09:15 PM
spiderman101 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jongi
that's pretty ambitious
You know what they say, “Ambition is the last refuge of failure”
Old 22nd November 2007, 04:42 PM
~frank Offline

I'm only going from fc6 to fc8, but the upgrade process went pretty smoothly after doing the following...

- first step - use local files so the download(s) don't take so long... (optional)
- mount the DVD or iso and copy the packages to some directory - say /fc8
- run the "createrepo /fc8" command
- cd to /etc/yum.repos.d, "mkdir old" and "cp fedora* old" to save the old repo files
- go to /fc8 (or the Packages directory on the DVD if you didn't put the files on disk) and run "rpm -Uvh fedora-release*" this will populate /etc/yum.repos.d with the new repo files
- go to text mode ("telinit 3")
- run "yum upgrade" - it will take a while, but will most likely come back at some time with some "Missing Dependency" errors.

Now the more difficult part... capture that list of errors for reference. The _last_ name listed needs to be removed from the system. Use yum and/or rpm to remove those files. Some (for example, avahi) will need the rpm --nodeps options to force it to be removed. I recommend keeping track of which files are removed so you can re-add them later (if they don't get added by the upgrade). The rpms I had to remove regularly were: avahi, avahi-tools, kdeutils, kdeutils-extras, openoffice.org*, mysql-bench, lib*-java.

Once all those dependency problems are gone, run "yum upgrade" again. You may end up with a few more dependency problems. Fix them and keep trying. At some point, the upgrade will run and complete.

To clean up:
- edit /etc/fstab and update any references to /dev/hd* - they need to be changed to /dev/sd* (like /dev/hda1 becomes /dev/sda1). Move any exisint references to /dev/sd* to the next available - ie if you had /dev/hda, /dev/hdb and /dev/sda, you would now have /dev/sda, /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc
- I like to go and resolve any *rpmsave or *rpmnew files to make sure all my configuration files are up to date

Now it's time to reboot!
Old 22nd November 2007, 09:26 PM
RobG Offline

Wow thanks for that list of to-dos. I'm trying to do FC7 to FC8 and get the hanging too. But I think since my install is only a few months old, I will just wipe and do FC8 fresh...

Rob
Old 23rd November 2007, 02:35 PM
spiderman101 Offline

Ok just an update, so far the war is not going well. Upgrade to 5 from 4 went well. Full yum update went well. Attempt to upgrade to 7 generated an Exception and died miserably. I'm downloading 6 now and will try 5 to 6 and then to 7 and then to 8. Odds are not with me on this.

As much as I hate M$ I'm starting to relate with there TCO argument about Linux. But I'd rather go back to DOS then Vista
Old 23rd November 2007, 02:58 PM
RobG Offline

Silly question... but if you're doing a reinstall, why not just go straight to FC8? Why are you trying to upgrade from one to another?

Rob
Old 23rd November 2007, 05:05 PM
spiderman101 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG
Silly question... but if you're doing a reinstall, why not just go straight to FC8? Why are you trying to upgrade from one to another?

Rob
Have a few LIVE servers running FC4 and I want to bring them all to FC8. Starting to think a flush and re-install might be the safest but it has become a personal project to try and upgrade.

On that note I've gotten the PC up to FC7 but you need to do some manual RPM installs because for some reason the FC7 upgrade didn't upgrade everything. Next step FC8
Old 26th November 2007, 03:20 PM
spiderman101 Offline

Ok Seems like FC7 to FC8 now worked. So I believe I have a successful path of upgrade from FC4 except it's way to long. I'll try and skip a few steps now and see if I can shorten the upgrade path
Old 26th November 2007, 07:15 PM
spiderman101 Offline

Ok so here's how you upgrade FC4 to FC8

1. FC4 to FC6
2. yum -y update (might be optional)
3. FC6 to FC7
4. FC7 to FC8
5. yum -y update

Long boring and tedious but it works

Tags
checking, dependencies, dies, fc4, fc8, upgrade