Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Security and Privacy
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Security and Privacy Sadly, malware, spyware, hackers and privacy threats abound in today's world. Let's be paranoid and secure our penguins, and slam the doors on privacy exploits.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2nd July 2007, 08:26 AM
phree Offline

Malware

Hi, I am running F7. Last night I opened a firefox page on a site that I visit regularily on my M$ machine (I am building the Linux machine to replace the M$ machine)

Although it displayed the correct web page, a message in the bottom left hand corner of the Firefox page told me that it was transferring data to a 4.ad something or other (I have the address but its at home, and i am writing this from work). On the right bottom corner was a progress bar.

I tried to stop this by closing the firefox window, however this didnt make any difference as i could still hear the drive activity. I dont know enough about F7 yet to know how to stop the process so I closed down the system.

I may be wrong, but this has never happened under M$ despite visiting the site regularily. I think the reason for this is the AV, Firewall and Mal/spy ware protection i have enabled and configured.

I downloaded AVG and installed that, however this wasnt a virus but more likely adware or spyware. I have to admit to disabling SElinux because the install guide (how to) i used, told me to.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for protecting my machine from this kind of activity. A search of the web and this forum just brings confusing information.

Rgds

Phree

Tags
malware